Thread: Aspire 6920G LCD has vertical lines in the middle of the screen

Aspire 6920G LCD has vertical lines in the middle of the screen

I have been using a Aspire 6920G and things were working fine by now. This morning when I turned it on then I was not getting proper display and there appear to be color full vertical lines. I can hear the windows sound but since I am getting those color full vertical lines with black blurry screen in the background. I am not able to see anything, I don’t know what went wrong with it suddenly. I am quite sure that the laptop was working fine the last time I had turned it off. Is there anything I can do about the same to get it working? It seems like a hardware issue but I am not sure about it. I cannot suspect anything that might have caused this as things were just fine 16 hours ago before I turned it off. I just wanted to know what might have caused this and what are the workaround that I can try out here.

Re: Aspire 6920G LCD has vertical lines in the middle of the screen

“Color full vertical lines with black blurry screen in the background” sounds like a hardware issue either something is wrong with the graphic card or your Aspire 6920G LCD. As far as a workaround is concerned you can try out using its graphic card in some other laptop to check out if there is something wrong with it or not. If you want then you can connect the laptop to an external monitor using hdmi cable and to find out if there is something wrong with the LCD. It’s hard to guess what might have went wrong with the laptop since you have mentioned everything was working fine before you turned it off. I just wanted to know whether you are quite sure if the laptop was untouched and there has not been any kind of physical damage to it. anyways just check out what I have mentioned and let me know the test result so I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you out with the same as well.

I am not sure whether the laptop was untouched or not but I am quite sure that there was nothing wrong with it until I had used it last time. I cannot suspect any physical damage caused to it as well. I have tried connecting the laptop to one of my external monitor and it is working out fine there. To confirm there is nothing wrong with the graphic card I have tested it out in another laptop and it is working fine there as well so that means the lcd has been damaged right?? So now when I know the cause of the issue I just wanted to know what might have caused the same. I mean that there are no physical damage and so. Are there any other possibilities of such issues?? Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

As far as other possibilities of such issues are concerned they can be caused by a bad gpu. Since in your case you have tested your laptop with an external monitor and have tested out the graphic card itself, gpu is certainly not the culprit in your case. I cannot think of any other issue that might have caused this but to go with further trouble shooting I will suggest you to check out the LCD cable/ribbon of the laptop. I am not very sure but there are chances where they might have worn out resulting in bad display like that. Actually I had come across one who was getting completely black screen with few while lines on his laptop lcd, his laptop was working fine when connected to an external display. I had thought that his display had gone faulty and had suggested him to get it repaired. Later after a week he had replied that there was not actually something wrong with the display but it was due to the LCD cable/ribbon that had turned bad. So just check it out and see if you are having the same case. If your laptop is under warranty then I will suggest you to better take it to acer service center and get it repaired. They will handle it out whatever might be the issue.

Thanks for sharing that, since my laptop is not under warranty anymore I will check out the LCD cable/ribbon. I just pray that the issue is just due to the LCD cable/ribbon and there is nothing wrong with the internal display of the laptop else I won’t be investing more to get it working. I also wanted to share that I have checked out for the same issue on the web and have found that this issue can be caused due to a BAD_EDID. I have not made my research on the same but I will like to know what exactly a bad edid is? And is there any possibility of the same to be in my case??

No I don’t think that you are having a BAD_EDID in your case and it is more of some kind of hardware issue with the display. Actually a corrupt edid or bad edid results in changing the resolution weird after BIOS and initial Windows Startup Screen. The edid gets read after the Windows Startup Screen and if it is corrupt then it results in weird graphics and so. Since in your case you are not even able to see the BIOS and initial Windows Startup Screen properly I am quite sure there is some hardware issue. I will suggest you to better check out the LCD cable/ribbon and if you think that there is something wrong with it then you can replace them out else take it to the service center as suggested.