Thread: How to Mod GPU BIOS for Dell L702x

How to Mod GPU BIOS for Dell L702x

Well I have a old Dell L702x system working well and fine. I am thinking to do some sort of experiment with this machine. Experimenting, in the sense I need to mod the GPU BIOS for this laptop. From long time I have been hearing that it is very much possible for this machine to change and modify the GPU voltage but unfortunately I do not have any idea of doing this. So please is there anyone who can help me out and provide me with any related information on modding GPU BIOS for Dell L702x. At least I will get some idea and then I will be able to get over the procedure of doing it. Also if possible provide me with the download link of Modded GPU BIOS for the same system.

Re: How to Mod GPU BIOS for Dell L702x

Yeah, you are right. From your long time whatever you have been hearing is true. You can easily modify your GPU voltage. By doing so you will definitely be able to acquire a high amount of core clock with the BIOS of your system. Always remember that changing and modifying the voltage current to a different level is always is applicable to only certain BIOS update. If suppose you change 3D Voltage Profile from 0.8620 to 0.9120 then you might need A16 GF106/GF116 and A17 GF106/GF116 and with 3D Voltage Profile changing from 0.8620 to 1.0000 is right now at present only possible to GF106 GT 555m. And most importantly if you are thinking that with the voltage change you will be able to change or affect the 2D mode voltage then my friend you are absolutely wrong.

I don’t have a Dell laptop neither did I have downloaded or installed modded BIOS in any of my system. I am here just to help you by letting you know certain information about my friends Dell L702x machine. I am not sure but recently he has downloaded and tried a GPU BIOS into his machine and it was working great. Two days ago we sat together on his machine after installing the BIOS. I think during that period of time he was trying to create BIOS files of his another GPU configuration. I am not sure but I feel that, it was possible just because all those other BIOS files were placed together under a single BIOS revision which was actually released by Dell official. The best thing to be done is to apply a thermal paste on your CPU as well as on your GPU in order to eliminate the temperature and other heat issues. The reason I am suggesting you this is because there are chances that you might see a drastic increment in the temperature on the ambient temperature.

Until now he didn’t face any trouble. However even if you do not have any problem it is better suggested to test the BIOS files, at least you will be confident that your files are doing great with no hidden issues. After a long testing he found that in his system the 3D voltage is not being able to recognize. Regarding the BIOS download, if I get any information I will definitely get back to you and let you know about it.

BIOS version A16 and A17 are fine but it would be much better if we manage to get A12 or A14. For these BIOS we will first have to make a request to Dell about the same only then I guess we will get it if we are fortunate enough. There are certain things that you need to make sure while downloading or working with the GPU BIOS. Always the first thing to be taken under consideration is the GPU BIOS number. While flashing, never commit any mistake or error especially with the GPU BIOS number because flashing a wrong BIOS number is surely going to cause you with no changes to your laptop even if you have perform all the changes. Flashing inappropriate GPU BIOS number results in such result because after you commit this mistake forcefully the BIOS are made to flash only the appropriate revision. So always remember to be careful while flashing the BIOS which is one of the highest risk if you make any mistake. Anyways if in case you would like to get back to any older BIOS versions then I think you will have to flash to any stock files. Overall, being careful is the key to the success of BIOS flashing.

I have a question to be asked, first of all let me know whether all the cards differ from each other. The reason I am asking this question is because I have seen some people are being able to Overclock their card beyond the expected level and even then they are not facing any trouble while others face some of the other issue after overclocking the card. You can take my own example. Recently I overclocked me graphic card, I have noticed that whenever I am high its driver somehow fails without any reason. I am not sure but I doubt that this might be due to the lack of voltage supplied to the card. Is it true? Please suggest me what should I do in order to overclock the best way possible without facing any issue in future.

While trying your hand with GPU the biggest risk comes when you are not able to get your GPU recognized but however with the Intel graphics high rank you can even then able to flash as accordingly. Simply just going on for flashing the BIOS doesn’t seems to be a good option, you need to in a good rhythm and also who should have all the knowledge and idea of handling some unexceptional cases or make sure that you are well aware of the steps for flashing your BIOS.

The best thing you could do for flashing the BIOS is to take the help of a program called WinFlash, this program might help you to flash the BIOS. Not just flashing to the further BIOS but also switching or flashing back to your older version BIOS is easily possible with this program.
    • With the help of the WinFlash program I will help you with flashing you BIOS. The first thing you need to do is to unpack the WinFlash and also the BIOS files with the help of any compression software or utility (you can go with WinRar), only after this you will be able to use both the WinFlash and BIOS file.
    • Now after unpacking, run WinFlash, you will be asked to choose the desired BIOS for your machine. You will have to then modify the file type during the time of selecting the BIOS file to Flash, make sure that the file type is changed from “BIOS image” to “All Files”. After doing this now you will not have any problem in viewing the BIOS file. There’s no problem in directly using the file name into the file name.
    • You need not have to worry while locating the file as the Auto Complete function will help you out all the way. After the file has been placed now the machine will reboot and then flash the BIOS.
    • While starting your laptop might product a beep sound, this sound has nothing to do with any problem. Its just a normal sound.

Hearing the first time about this WinFlash program, sounds cool but it works the same as other programs. The only program I know that helps in modifying the BIOS files is MVKTech. This program is my personal favorite. The best thing about this program is that it can smoothly modify and change the GPU BIOS files with the help of the NiBiTor that is released by this program itself. For GT 550m and GT 555m unfortunately no version has been released yet. There is certain amount of different file for each GPU.

Not completely but yes, partially I do agree with your presumption. Your driver is failing due to not enough voltage availability. The best thing you could do is download a BIOS mod for your system. BIOS mod manages to advance your system and also it helps you to acquire a higher clock speeds which is good thing but on the other hands there’s negative affect of the same. Doing such thing might show you high temperature.