Thread: Storing Dell Studio battery without charging it for 1 year

Storing Dell Studio battery without charging it for 1 year

I have been using a Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop and its battery had gone faulty and i was planning to get a new battery. So today unfortunately me and my brother had bought two new batteries. The other one won’t be of any use to me till any of them turns out faulty, so I just wanted to know if there is a way by which I can store the battery somewhere so that it does not get spoiled and stays as it?? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Storing Dell Studio battery without charging it for 1 year

You will have to store it to a cooler place probably keeping it in a fridge will be the best option. If you keep it somewhere within the normal temperature then it will be draining out itself after some months. You can seal it in a plastic bag ad so and keep it in the fridge and not freezer.

In order to keep the battery live longer I will suggest you to better let it go through a charge/discharge cycle for a couple of times. When you are done with the cycle then keep it just charged to 50% and store it in fridge. The recommended storage temperature is said to be 15°C (59°F) but it can be kept in a fridge after packing it in some cloth and then in a plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by VARIJ View Post
    You will have to store it to a cooler place probably keeping it in a fridge will be the best option. If you keep it somewhere within the normal temperature then it will be draining out itself after some months. You can seal it in a plastic bag ad so and keep it in the fridge and not freezer.
    It is not necessary to store it in a fridge and so, I will suggest you to battery store it in a dry place. Since it might be having a Lithium Ion battery like the other laptops you should charge it to 40% or 50% before storing it. It is recommended to charge the batter up to 50% before storing as when you do so the battery will be draining 4% of the charge even though you store it for a year and so. Whereas if you charge it to 100 % then it will be draining 20% of the charge after a year. These things have been tested out by experts. The other option that you can try out here is using the battery alternately. Here you won’t have to worry about the battery anymore as it will be in use periodically.

Below are the instructions for storing a laptop battery (Lithium Ion Laptop Battery, Nickel Cadmium Battery, Nickel Metal Hydride Battery).

Storing a Lithium Ion Laptop Battery:
    You can use a battery monitoring program like BatteryBar for making sure that the battery is roughly 40% charged. If you find it to be charged more than that then drain it and if it is lower than that then charge it. When you are done with the same then pack it in a plastic casing or wrap it in a airtight plastic storage bag and store the same in a cool, dry location. If you will be storing it to High temperature then the charge will get drain faster. If you want then you can store it in refrigerator but then make sure that you are wrapping in a plastic, the benefit of storing it in a refrigerator is that the temperature typically remains constant and the battery gets drain at steady rate but the temperature should be between 0-10 degrees Celsius or 32-50 degrees Fahrenheit. Other than this you will have to make sure that you are recharging the battery to 40% every 4 to 6 months.

Storing Nickel Metal Hydride Battery:
    First cover the battery in plastic casing or in an airtight plastic storage bag. After that store the same in a cool, dry location. Since it is a Nickel Metal Hydride battery recharge it with two full charge/discharge cycles so that they it does not get affected by long term storage or full discharge.

Storing a Nickel Cadmium Battery
    You have to follow the same solutions that have been mentioned above for the Lithium Ion Laptop Battery and Nickel Metal Hydride Battery but here you will have to make sure that you are recharging it at least once every year.