Thread: How to install Windows 7 properly in DELL XPS 17 L702x

How to install Windows 7 properly in DELL XPS 17 L702x

I have been using DELL XPS 17 L702x and the system is running quite slow and I guess that it is because of the viruses in it. Actually I had got McAfee installed with the deal but then I had not renewed the same after some months and was using a trail version of the same which is not appearing to be helping. It do detects viruses but the system is still running slow, anyways I have taken the possible backup of the crucial data in my case and I am willing to make a clean installation of Windows 7. Here I wanted to know that what will be the proper order for installing the drivers, I am having the driver cd that I had got with the laptop, so using it will be enough for installing the drivers or I should download them. Which will be a better choice, I will be making the installation for the first time, I am aware of the procedure but I need some help with the installation of the drivers, is there anyone who can help me out???

Re: How to install Windows 7 properly in DELL XPS 17 L702x

In that case I will like to inform you that the installation of the drivers does not matter as per their order. The things is that you should be able to install the required drives properly, so just follow the below steps and you should not have any further issues.Since you have already taken the backup of the data you just have to check out and make sure that you are having BIOS A08 installed, when you are ready with these things then proceed further. Start installing Windows 7 using the installation disc, assuming you are aware of the installation procedure when the installations gets completed then you can try installing the drivers in the below order.
    • First install the HM67 chipset driver followed by the below ones:
    • SATA Management
    • USB 3.0
    • Intel HECI Management
    • Motion Sensor
    • Touchpad
    • ALC665 Audio
    • Intel HD video and then the graphic card drivers
    • HD webcam
    • Gigabit Ethernet
    • Wifi card
    • Quickset driver

Here you can either install the drivers from the driver cd that you might be having and then update them through the Microsoft update or you can install them directly using the Microsoft update, you can get all the latest drivers for the above components from the dell website. If you face any issues in installing or finding the driver then feel free to ask. Once you are done with the installation of the above drivers then you can inspect the left ones and install the same. As far as the MacAffee application is concerned, I won’t suggest you to install the same again rather you can get any one from MALWAREBYTES, AVIRA, Microsoft Security Essentials, they are quite satisfying and will help you in keeping the system free from virus in future, if you want then you can first download a trial version of them from their sites or buy one. The trail version is not recommended for protecting the system to much extent so it will be better if you buy their package with the installation key. There are some more choices for the antivirus today so you can check out for the best ones. I have suggested you the ones that I think are best but your opinion might vary. There are some additional drivers that you may or may not need like Intel wireless display (non-3D systems only), audio upgrade software, face recognition software, DVD/Blu-ray software, etc. so check out for the same and install them if you think that they are required.

Re: How to install Windows 7 properly in DELL XPS 17 L702x

I don’t think that you need further help as the above post is quite enough for carrying out the task that you need. Since you are making a clean installation of windows 7, I will just suggest you to better get the latest driver for the system from windows update, and maintain the same as well. I mean that there is an update to the applications and components of the system timely so you can get them and keep you system up to date. As far as the antivirus program is concerned, I think that anyone of the below ones will be a good choice they are voted as best 5 for 2012.
    • Avira Free Antivirus 2012
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012
    • Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5.1
    • Avast! Free Antivirus 6

You should also make sure that the antivirus databases are getting updated as well, these programs install the updates automatically if you are connected to the internet but still keeping an eye on them will be of more help. I also wanted to know that have you made the backup of the data in a hard drive?? If yes then better scan them thoroughly before transferring then to your laptop after the clean installation. Hope that helps.