Thread: Recovery CD wont restore Toshiba Satellite M65-S9092 laptop

Recovery CD wont restore Toshiba Satellite M65-S9092 laptop

I own a Toshiba Satellite M65-S9092 laptop and i use it regularly because of my project. Yesterday while working on it, I mean while browsing, the laptop freezed and became completely non responsive. Few seconds later, the system crashed and started to reboot. For that reason I tried to recover it using recovery discs.

I didn’t tried any troubleshooting yet because I have important data stored on it. First I put the CD in Drive and then tried to boot from it. Unluckily nothing happened and nothing came up. Everything else is working fine. I mean the hardware related things are functioning properly. What is happening here?

Re: Recovery CD wont restore Toshiba Satellite M65-S9092 laptop

Which CD you have tried? Did you try the Windows installation Disk for restore?

I think that you can use a Windows installation disk, to a repair installation instead of doing system restore. I think that it is Windows related problem and laptop will not be able restore by the use of restore Disk. But in your case the system even not booting at all and I think that the problem is something different which cannot be restored just by the use of Toshiba Recovery utility or recover disk.

Hardware related problems can usually cause the laptop not to boot. It could be anything like faulty battery, RAM, BIOS chip, CMOS battery, processor or the entire motherboard itself. Corrupted Boot sector also an impact on the laptop. As far as I know that the Satellite M65-S9092 laptop is a very old laptop and I think that it is really out of the warranty now.

The system recovery on laptop will take the system to its original factory settings. You can recover the system in two ways actually:
    By using the HDD Factory Image:
    • When the system is running, Shut it down normally.
    • Then while holding 0 (zero) key on your keyboard, press the power switch or button. The laptop turns on and goes into Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen.
    • There you will see 3 options but in that the recommended one is Restore Original Factory Image. Remember that, when you restore the HDD to default state it will delete all the partitions. You will lose all information stored on it.
    • Press 1 now and you will see a confirmation message which indicates that all data has overwritten. So you have a backup for that.
    • Next click Yes to start the restore process.
    • Once the final message will appear, restart the laptop for completion

Toshiba Recovery Disc:
    If there is no built in recovery image on your HDD, you should use a Toshiba Recovery Disc. If you don’t get one with your laptop, you can order it later from Toshiba. Put the CD on drive and reboot the system. Follow the instruction as shown on the screen for a complete recovery.

What makes you think that you can restore the laptop using the Recovery CD easily? Recovery CD is not useful in all situations. If the laptop is not booting properly and Drive does not spin, in that case how you can get the recovery Disc get working? The Drive should start working or spinning in order to boot your laptop from it. Also you have to make sure that the BIOS settings are set to boot from the DVD/CD drive using any bootable CD. In your Case, your laptop not even boot properly and I assume that you cannot get into the BIOS also. You are facing a serious hardware issue on laptop. You have to check it by yourself or help of any technician.

Toshiba Recovery CDs for Satellite laptops are actually drivers but they are in the special windows friendly format. If your drivers get lost or corrupted, the laptop will automatically find and install all the drivers from the CD and it does not need any user interaction for restore and installation. It works somewhat similar like a Windows repair utility or disc. The problem is, the disc should have a auto run feature integrated into it otherwise it will not load at boot up directly. If the disc really does not work, you need to replace the existing HDD on your laptop and replace with a new one and install OS using the recovery disc set.

If the disc is not working properly, you can burn a new disk by using the image file. You can download the recovery image file from the Toshiba.

If the disc drive not working on your laptop, you can create a USB bootable drive using the same Image file and try to load from it. This might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Oye! Champion View Post
    I own a Toshiba Satellite M65-S9092 laptop and i use it regularly because of my project. Yesterday while working on it, I mean while browsing, the laptop freezed and became completely non responsive. Few seconds later, the system crashed and started to reboot. For that reason I tried to recover it using recovery discs.

I didn’t tried any troubleshooting yet because I have important data stored on it. First I put the CD in Drive and then tried to boot from it. Unluckily nothing happened and nothing came up. Everything else is working fine. I mean the hardware related things are functioning properly. What is happening here?

Is there any Recovery partition on your laptop? If yes, did you try to recover from it?

I assume that Recovery partition might be broken or damaged and due to this laptop will not boot. But you can get it boot by some partition and bootloader hacks. Otherwise you should try to boot from Linux environment using a bootable CD or USB drive. Once you get into it, you can delete other partitions and set recovery partition Active. Once this process gets completed you can run MBR/bootloader fix tools. I did the same thing on my laptop and it worked fine after few hours of struggle.