Thread: Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946 DVD is not getting recognized, error Code 19

Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946 DVD is not getting recognized, error Code 19

I am using the Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946. It was working well from many days but from last two days, I found that the DVD drive in it is not detecting any of the dvd/vcd. I dont know what exactly is the problem. I tried to findout the same in device manager. When i went to device manager i found an there an error mentioned under drive status:
    “Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device, (Code 19)”
    I am running Windows 7 on my computer. I will really be thankful if someone of you can help me in this case, Thank you.

Re: Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946 DVD is not getting recognized, error Code 19

I have one workaround for this problem. Click on start and click on “All Programs” and select Accessories. Select “Run” from there and enter “regedit” and hit enter. This will open the registry editor window. This might ask you for the administrator password for conformation. If that asks you for the same then enter password and press ok.

Now, look at the navigation pane and from there go to the registry subkey
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    Now click on the UpperFilters from the right pane. Please don’t remove the registry entry UpperFilters.bak from there. There might be case that you will not get UpperFilters registry entry then you will have to delete the LowerFilters registry entry. For that you will have to go the edit menu and from there click on delete. It will ask you for the confirmation to delete that registry, click on yes if that asks you for the same. Once you are done with that then exit the registry editor and reboot your system.

Warning: If you entered the Registry Editor incorrectly then there can be some serious problem with the system and it might lead to reinstallation of the operating system. So make use of the Registry Editor at your own risk. Good luck!!!

The error message is clearly indicating the solution for this problem. You will only have to reinstall your device. This is very simple to do, just right click on the device and from there select uninstall. Once that gets uninstalled successfully, then restart your computer and the device will be installed again. So try with this and let us know if this was helpful to you or not.

Have you recently uninstalled the CD or DVD recording program or Microsoft digital image form your computer? I am asking this because this can also results in problem like this. Other than this, in some of the cases I have seen that reinstalling a few programs like Nero software by Nero Inc, Zune software by Microsoft resolves such issues. It is because those programs are not able to make use of CD or DVD drive but reinstallation will solve that problem. If you found that issue persist even after reinstalling those programs then you must contact to the manufacturer and they will help you to sort out that problem.

In case, if you found that the drive is not listed then you will have to reinstall the existing drivers and that can let you out of this problem. As you have mentioned that you are using Windows 7 then here are the steps to do that.

1. First, click on start and go to control panel from there.
    2. Go to the system and security.
    3. Now, click on System >> Device Manager. If you are using the classic view for the Control Panel then you will have to double click System and click on device manager.
    4. Go to the User Access Control permission and this might ask you for the admin password. If it asks then provide the same for confirmation and click on allow button.
    5. Go to the device manager and click on plus sign before DVD/CD-ROM drives.
    6. Now, right click on the CD and DVD devices as and click on uninstall.
    7. This will ask you to confirm that whether you wish to remove the device, click on OK for confirmation.
    8. Finally restart your PC and problem will be resolved.