Thread: My Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903 turns on but HD LED wont

My Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903 turns on but HD LED wont

I have a Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903 at my home which I use for internet browsing and text editing. Many times it happens that I am unable to use the laptop for many days in a row. I just cover it with a cloth and use it after a long period of weeks. When I start it after weeks, the LEDS on my laptop that indicate the battery, activation and deactivation of Num Lock and Caps Lock don’t work. But the laptop functions properly, there is no problem in its working. I asked my friend about it and he said that maybe CMOS battery must be draining out as I never power my laptop for many days. But now for some couple of days when I am using my Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903 for long time, it is crashing randomly at random times. After startup, the laptop sometime remains switched on for forty minutes while sometimes crashes in five minutes. Today I ran the Toshiba Diagnostic program to find if there is any problem with the installed operating system, driver or any other software related issue. But the diagnostic program didn’t find anything wrong with the software part in the laptop.

Now I thought that the problem must be due to some malfunctioning hardware. My first suspicion was the mechanical lid switch. So I tried opening the cover of the laptop. At this time, I discovered that Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903 doesn’t use mechanical lid switch. Instead it uses, magnetic lid switch which holds the body so tightly that it is very difficult to open it. I am getting a feeling that the magnetic field created by this magnetic lid switch must be affecting the working of the laptop. I have disabled the ACPI lid switch and rebooted my laptop, but still nothing has changed. The laptop still reboots randomly. The battery also seems to be working fine without any problem. Can someone help me solve this problem? I have mentioned all the symptoms and problems faced by my laptop. Can someone shed some light on the cause and cure of the problem?

Re: My Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903 turns on but HD LED wont

Have you checked the temperature of your laptop, maybe it is overheating due to which the laptop must be crashing when using. I have seen such symptoms in overheated laptops. You can try using a cooling mat along with the laptop and then see if it crashes or not.

You can try defragging the memory of your laptop as inconsistency in maintaining memory must have caused this problem in your laptop. If your laptop crashes or freezes while defragging then it can be confirmed that this issue of random crashes is happening due to enough memory for a process to execute. I had encountered this problem once in my desktop computer.

If while defragging, the laptop freezes or boots, I suggest you to take out the hard disk of your laptop and keep it unplugged for some hours. It is preferable to keep it unplugged for at least twenty four hours. When again attaching it in the laptop, clean the both connecting points, that is point where connector in laptop where hard disk is attached and also the connector of the hard disk. Maybe it will help you.

Re: My Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903 turns on but HD LED wont

I too had experienced similar problem with my laptop. Though not Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903, but yes according to my experience I can say that this problem can be related to battery of the laptop. The battery must be not charging properly or maybe it is unable to hold the power for long time. In my case, the battery used to should green indication for full battery even after using it for around four to five hours. But suddenly after some six to seven hours, laptop would randomly shut down. I contacted the technician who checked my laptop. He said that battery was sending wrong indications of being full even when it was consumed for a long time.

So I say that you need to get the battery checked. You can take a same battery from a properly working laptop and try working on it for once. If the laptop crashes, ten you can say that problem lies within other part of laptop. If any problem is found in the battery of your Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8903, don’t just replace it, check if everything is working fine with the charger or not.