Thread: Toshiba Satellite L505 Ram getting eaten up by background applications

Toshiba Satellite L505 Ram getting eaten up by background applications

Few days ago my dada bought me a brand new Satellite L505-ES5018 laptop from a Toshiba retail store. It was brand new and working just like a champ. 2 days later I have started installing few apps and games. No problem at all. Suddenly yesterday, the system rebooted immediately while doing some work and then boot up fine. There was no error message. I thought that it was happened due to excessive heat or due to bug in an application but since then the laptop started working very slow.

I couldn’t able to get which application or game is causing this issue. The games are not much CPU intensive or Graphic intensive games. They were normal. The HDD is also not full and still there was around 200GB space left. The task manager shows that there was excessive amount of RAM usage by several apps and processes. How can I fix this now?

Re: Toshiba Satellite L505 Ram getting eaten up by background applications

As far as I know that if you have installed the Windows OS on your laptop it will utilize the RAM for for caching purposes (vcache) when it is not require by the application. The Windows will then reduce the cache when the memory is required by an application. Whenever you close an application, the free memory will increase. The cache will be freed when you open any other application and it starts to load. When you close it, the RAM becomes free. Sometime this free memory is also allocated to the video card. At this time it is showed as Hardware Reserved. By the use of good Resource Monitor app or tool you can find out or track down where exactly the RAM eaten up.

I think you should start using the MSCONFIG to do Diagnostic Startup where you can turn off some of unnecessary processes. It seems to me that the system has allocated most of the memory to the Antivirus. Otherwise the memory leak usually seen while browser and where memory leak often happens with browser like Firefox.

AS for processes, you have to boot into Safe mode in order to turn off them from starting up. I have seen that there are several processes running in my computer which were actually not necessary. They could have been installed automatically during the installation of some third party programs and games. Removing them could really get you some amount of free memory.

I also think that there would be too many Startup applications loading with Windows while starting your laptop. They are helpful in many situations like fast boot up and to get some features to start automatically without the need of going for manual start up. Also some processes significantly increase Startup time but then affect overall performance. You can turn them down.
    Click on Start > Run > and type msconfig.
    Choose Startup tab and uncheck each and every one unnecessary apps.

Can you find out how many processes running there?

Because I have 43 running. if you have too many, you should start cleaning them up. You don’t need third party apps or something running in the background. Only thing you need is a anti-virus software and any of the required Windows services. Anything else is just a waste of memory and CPU usage and in that even in laptop, it just a waste of battery power. I have a list of processes which really does not need to be running and they are as follows:
    • sprtcmd.exe
    • quickset.exe
    • ONENOTEM.EXE
    • realsched.exe
    • PDVDDXSrv.exe
    • uTorrent.exe
    • jusched.exe
    • Toaster.exe

In my case the above 8 processes eating away at RAM and CPU usage

All recent version Windows contains WMI which is a Windows Management Instrumentation. It will automatically track things like CPU usage, disk I/O, as well as memory usage. Perfmon.exe is a GUI front-end which will monitor a process, create log, and allow log to analyze.

BTW, which antivirus is installed on your computer? Did you try the CCLEANER to solve the problem?

If not, try out. It will not clear the processes but it can clean cache memory to free up the space. It also offers registry cleaner which will delete the registry entries. You can download the CCLEANER for free.