Thread: Cannot copy files fafter formatting My Passport Essential to Fat32

Cannot copy files fafter formatting My Passport Essential to Fat32

Hello friends. I am using the Passport 0740 1Tb and that was working well from last two months. I am using this passport to take back up for my important files from my desktop computer. I used to do this daily after finishing my work but from last two days, I am having problem to connect my passport with the desktop computer. When I connect that with my desktop computer then it is not getting recognized and as a result I cannot transfer file from my computer to the passport. Now I am using my pen drive to do the same task but need to get it resolved as soon as possible. My pen drive is just of 8 GB which is not sufficient to hold the entire backup. I can see that the light on my passport is blinking and that means that it is connected so why I can’t get to the drive.

Re: Cannot copy files fafter formatting My Passport Essential to Fat32

You have not mentioned that which operating system you are using in your computer. Anyways, here are the steps for Windows vista that you can use to get it resolved. I hope that it will be helpful for you.

1. Just right click on my computer and then click on manage and this will open the computer management window.
    2. From the left panel, you will have to click on the Disk Management.
    3. Look for your external drive that might be listed as “Disk 1”.
    4. If you are not able to identify that then you can also try by disconnecting and reconnecting the drive.
    5. To change the drive letter, right click on the white block.
    6. Give that drive to some other letter.
    7. Now open my computer and you will see the drive with the newly assigned letters.

If the drive is not getting detected with the system then there is less possibility that it will be visible in the disk management. As you told that you are using the drive formatted with the FAT32 format, I would like to tell you that this is one of the disadvantages with the FAT32 format. The drive will get corrupted very often. I am using my drive with NTFS format and never had any problem with that. What you can do is, make use of some good formatting tool for erasing the drive and testing the drive. If you are going to use that with the windows only then you must reformat that with the NTFS format.

Are you using the same cord that comes with western digital digital. I was also using the same and having such problems frequently. This is because the cord that they include with the unit is very long and that is the reason that it leads to voltage drop. Now I am using the 6" USB 2.0 cable and that is working great for me. You will get that cable easily on any hardware store. Don’t directly move on for formatting the drive, before that, you must try by using some shorter cable and see if that can make any change.

Frankly speaking it is very difficult to get the exact reason for this problem without diagnostic. There could be many reasons for this problem. This can be due to bad PCD or corrupted firmware. If the logic board into the USB adapter is not working then it will create problem with the connection and to check that you should remove the drive from the enclosure and then connect that with the help of the USB adapter. You can also use Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool. The Windows version of the "WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" performs many of the tests on your "Western Digital FireWire", "EIDE" and on the USB drive.