Thread: Asus TF300 Tablet Bootloader Unlocking

Asus TF300 Tablet Bootloader Unlocking

I recently purchased the Asus Transformer TF300 and I have been using it for a week. After using it for a week I did some research on the operating system of the Asus Transformer TF300, I realized that it doesn’t have any bootloader. Without Bootloader it will become impossible to install a new operating system in future or to do any updating to the current operating system. If any problem occurs in working of current operating system and if one needs to repair it, then again it will become a big problem. I think that not just me but many other people who have purchased Asus Transformer TF300 might experience this same problem. I think that all the customers who have purchased Asus Transformer TF300 should sign a petition to get the bootloader unlocked in this tablet pc. If many people sign this petition, Asus might help us unlock the bootloader. What do other people think about this?

Re: Asus TF300 Tablet Bootloader Unlocking

This will be great if give it a try. There must be many customers who must have purchased Asus Transformer TF300 and will be in need of the bootloader. Even if we can get around three hundred to three hundred and fifty people who have bought Asus Transformer TF300 to sign this petition, I think that Asus will notice it. The issue of locked bootloader was brought under notice of Asus many days ago. It was the period when Asus Transformer TF300 was newly launched in the market. Asus had said that they will take a look in this matter and will figure out some way to have the bootloader unlocked. But now many weeks have passed and no initiative has been taken from Asus’ side.

Come on people, when Asus said that they will be figuring out some way to unlock the bootloader in Asus Transformer TF300, then they will do it later or sooner. I don’t think that anybody will be in such a hurry that they want to upgrade the operating system that is present in this tablet right now. Also till the tablet is under warranty, if anything goes wrong with the operating system, one can have it repaired from the service center. So, I say that let us be patient and wait for few more days and see if Asus provides any solution for unlocking the bootloader. Also unlocking the bootloader involves a lot of legal formalities. To add to this big obstacle, the bootloader to be unlocked doesn’t limit itself to one or two customers from some specific region. Asus will need to unlock the bootloader for hundreds and thousands of people in various regions of the world.

I agree that there are lots of legal formalities that Asus will need to complete before they can unlock the bootloader for the customers who have purchased Asus Transformer TF300. If they unlock the bootloader for some customer and later on that customer tries to manually change certain setting or update the operating system with some invalid software or component, then it might harm the system in some unexpected way. So the user who has done something wrong might blame Asus for it when he himself has done the mistake. This cause great loss for Asus and might harm their reputation and also their working. Asus needs to study what possibilities are there by which it might not go in loss or someone might not wrongly blame them. This research and study will take time before they legally make themselves and their actions secure. After this is done they might provide the customers with bootloader. Again when, Asus will provide unlocked bootloader in Asus Transformer TF300 to its customers, there will again be changes in terms and conditions of the product’s warranty. These changes again call for legal activities. So again more time will be required to research and implement the required actions as we are requesting.

Providing the customers with unlocked bootloader is not a child’s play that can be done in one day. It will need lot of planning and research before they properly implement the change. To do this, they need to cover themselves legally as the whole procedure is risky. This risk won’t get over till all the tablets PCs that have locked bootloader go out of warranty. Also since the mistake has been brought under Asus’ notice, they might need to change the settings of the operating system in the Asus Transformer TF300 that are already produced and still waiting to be manufactured. This needs to be done to avoid the future problems. That is why I say that we should wait for some months and then take steps like that of signing a petition.

Many people have tried unlocking the bootloader themselves. Some of them have succeeded while most of them have failed. Asus will also need to keep track of such people. Since the Asus Transformer TF300 will be under warranty, the changes made by the customer or any other party other than official manufacturers will lead to cancellation of warranty of the Asus Transformer TF300. Asus will need to keep track of such customers. Any changes made to the device while under warranty without use of approved tools by manufacturer will obviously nullify the warranty.

If you will search on Google for a petition for unlocking the bootloader in Asus Transformer TF300 tablet and also to have unlocked bootloader in future products is present and some three hundred people have already signed it. The petition says that with lack of accessible bootloader in Asus Transformer TF300, it doesn’t allow the user to access the root files of the operating system installed in it. This is creating a problem to the users who are interested in creating application and interactive programs for Asus Transformer TF300. Many of such applications and programs need to have access to the core files to synchronize themselves or settings according to requirements. The petition also says that if this problem is not solved or no action is seen from Asus’ side then they should provide refund to the concerned customers. The petition also says that it is necessary as it will stop the buyers from customizing and using it in their own way.