Thread: Connect Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to internet using 3G dongle

Connect Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to internet using 3G dongle

I have just started using the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I got this Android tablet as a birthday gift. While looking at the specs I come to know that you cannot put SIM in it in order to connect to the internet or make video call. But it has wifi where I can connect this device to a wifi router or hotspot and use the internet as needed. The Samsung manual also says that this device does support the USB dongle. So I am planning to use the 3G dongle so that I can connect to the internet whenever I want without the need of wifi. Does anyone know which model or what manufacturer 3G dongle supported in this Tab. Do I need any extra accessories also?

Re: Connect Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to internet using 3G dongle

As far as I know that it is only possible if your TAB supports USB OnTheGo (OTG). I mean you can only use the USB 3G dongle if the Galaxy Tab 2 supports USB OnTheGo otherwise it will be very hard to make it work and connect to the internet. However it is not always necessary to use the 3G connection on tablet since all of them cone with Wi-Fi for connectivity. It would be better if you use the wifi in order to access the internet when you are home or at office. Also if you are on the move, walk with portable Wi-Fi router which will be almost double the size of USB dongle. It is the better option. I have heard that there are lots connectivity related problem in 3G USB dongle. They are not able to get the proper connection when you are on the move or inside the building like ground floor or basement.

I also suggest you the same. Rather than using the USB dongle, get a cellular hotspot device. The cellular date connection is the best option to use the internet on any device because it is very convenient and cheap. A carrier like Verizon or ATT offers data connection for about $50 per month. One thing is sure that you always carry your phone whenever you go outside. So it will not be necessary for you to carry one more device for internet connection. Just turn on the Wifi tethering or USB tethering on your smartphone and connect the Galaxy Tab 2 to the wifi hotspot and enjoy your browsing, downloading or whatever. With this you can not only get the 3G connection but you can also get 4G or 4G LTE connection. So whenever you are buying a phone, just make sure that it has a wifi tethering and USB tethering option and your network provider does support data connection with other devices as hotspot or tethering. It would be cheaper to use your phone as the wifi hotspot. You can also get unlimited data plan with this.

In order to use the 3G dongle on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, just make sure that it has option to use it. You can check it in specs or manual. If so, you can buy any 3G dongle from any manufacture or provider. Sometimes the manual comes with list of compatible 3G dongles along with their manufacturer name and network provider. Some tabs do not contain a USB 2.0 port. They only come with micro USB. In that you need to get any adapter to connect from Micro USB to USB 2.0.

Huawei is offering a nice USB 3G E176G Dongles with XCom Global data. They manufacturer had told that this device is very simple to use. The setup process is just and quick 5-7 minute and very simple for anyone without any experience to handle is all that’s needed. The USB Dongle is available in Europe and now they are also offering smartphones like the Huawei Ascend D Quad. Otherwise probably better off using a MiFi (portable 3G hotspot) device. The best reason to portable 3G hotspot is they are they more flexible than 3G modems and you will save a little bit of Tab power through it.

If you really want to use the USB modem with your WiFi Tab, I would suggest buying a Cradlepoint PHS-300. Otherwise just visit your local carrier and see what are the options available from them to connect to the internet. Due to this reason now most of the companies trying to sell 3G/4G editions of the tablet but on the other hand the modem companies are trying to make more money by selling more modems (embedded or standalone) by offering different features to the customers. One more thing is, using a 3G USB modem is not a problem but sometimes it required proper drivers need to loaded and installed on the device so that the device get authenticated and allow the network or internet connection through it. Device ID should match with Android device ID for the authentication otherwise there won’t be a connection establishment and at that time you need to root the device.