Thread: Cannot use DVD in Dell Latitude D620

Cannot use DVD in Dell Latitude D620

I am using Dell Latitude D620 laptop from long time and I have windows Xp operating system with my laptop. Earlier my laptop was able to read DVDs but suddenly it has started giving me problems. Now when I insert any CDs in my laptop drive at that time it works properly but when I insert any DVD at that time it does not work. I have tried different DVD s but result was same. I have also uninstalled drivers from the device manager and then when I restarted the laptop at that lt installs the drivers but when I put and DVD in to the drive at that time it does not work. I have also performed windows updates but that does not make any difference. In my laptop I have TSSTcorp DVD+ RW TS-L532B drive. if anyone have any idea regarding this issue then let me know. Thank you in advance.

Re: Cannot use DVD in Dell Latitude D620

I have read your problem regarding CD/DVD drive and i will suggest you to run Dell Diagnostics and then what is the result of the Diagnostics. You have to restart your Dell Latitude D620 laptop and then press F12 setup. After pressing the F12 It will show boot menu screen and you will get option to choose Diagnostics. Now select Diagnostics and then you have to run custom test for the drive. You have to make sure you have entered any data DVD in your DVD drive. If your DVD drive has any problem then it Diagnostics test will fail. If you don’t see Diagnostics option in boot menu then you have to look for the Utility Partition. According to me by running the Dell Diagnostics you will be able to identify the exact problem.

As far as I know DVD drive has two lasers. One laser for reading DVDs and another is for reading CDs. This type of problem normally takes place when any of the lasers has failed. When you run Dell Diagnostics and if it shows DVD laser failure message at the end of the test then you need to change your DVD drive. I hope this information will be helpful for you.

With my Dell laptop also I was experiencing same problem and then I have contact the Dell support and discussed about my DVD drive problem and then they have told me to run Dell Diagnostics in my laptop. When I run Dell Diagnostics test at that time it shows DVD laser failure and then I have replaced DVD drive in my laptop. Now all the things are working properly.