Thread: Magnetic sensor not giving desired result in Motorola DROID XYBOARD 8.2

Magnetic sensor not giving desired result in Motorola DROID XYBOARD 8.2

I am this happy user of Motorola Droid XYBOARD 8.2 where I happily use all the beautiful applications and have total fun with it. But lately I happened to discover something weird. The Compass by Catch’s pointer always points to the top of the irrespective of the direction of the device. I am not sure if this issue existed before or is it due to some recent changes but I found it out a couple of days back. What could be wrong with it? And who’s at fault my device or is it the application or is it the OS?

Re: Magnetic sensor not giving desired result in Motorola DROID XYBOARD 8.2

Interesting! I appreciate your observation sense. The issue can be with anything you mentioned. Anyways can you please perform the below given tests on your system and let me know what results do you get?
    - Switch your Compass by Catch On
    - Place your device on a revolving chair
    - Rotate the chair and keep concentrate on the pointer of the application
    Now check if it changes. This is definitely not troubleshooting but before going I need to check if the issue actually exists.

The pointer still points to the top-right of the device. I did try with varied speed of rotations and all. Useless! It still showed the same result. I tried the same with another phone of my friend and it gave the result that we would desire to get. So now you know there’s some issue. Let’s go ahead with the troubleshooting now.

Yes! There is an issue for sure then. I think you should use some other sensor test applications that are available in market. They are efficient enough will make it very clear where the issue lies.
    Repeat the above test or basic tests like walk in different directions. Let me know whatever result you get.

I used the sensor test app and was extremely glad to see that it gave me desired results. I was about to celebrate about the fact that there’s no issue with my device when I thought of testing it again and I found out this time there’s an issue with the sensor test. It’s going 90% off i.e it is showing north as east and east as south. This is weird! I know! Anyways, what is this supposed to mean? I’m still confused. Where and what is the issue?

The inconsistency means that the issue is with the magnetic sensor in your device. Since you’ve been smart enough to try it with different devices too, the issue is definitely not environmental. You can conclude! It’s the device. Call up Motorola, they’ll help you out of this. They’ll definitely fix it for you.

All the best!

i'm also experiencing the same issue with my WiFi Xyboard 10.1 had it for 4 days now and this problem seems to affect all apps that utilize the compass Im debating weather to send it back or not also Motorola does not address this issue on their website support page and i'm not sure if its Google or a Motorola issue it would be a bad deal if its hardware related.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrez View Post
    i'm also experiencing the same issue with my WiFi Xyboard 10.1 had it for 4 days now and this problem seems to affect all apps that utilize the compass Im debating weather to send it back or not also Motorola does not address this issue on their website support page and i'm not sure if its Google or a Motorola issue it would be a bad deal if its hardware related.
    There are lots of sensor test apps that are available in the android market that you can use to test the Motorola DROID XYBOARD. With new devices it is possible that app developers need to tweak their own apps so that it can work with new devices as the hardware differs from device to another one. First test the sensor and then contact the developer and see what they have to say about it.