Thread: How to get rid of jumping cursor while typing in 2010 Dell Studio XPS laptop

How to get rid of jumping cursor while typing in 2010 Dell Studio XPS laptop

I own Dell Studio XPS laptop(Windows 7) and the problem that I am facing with the same is jumping of the cursor while typing, the cursor is just jumping some point above the point where it try to type, I have tried inspecting the jump and I have found that the jump is unpredictable as far as the timing and the position to which it is moving is concerned, I am quite sure that the jump is not due to the mess with the position, I have tested something and have found that the jumping occurs without an external mouse attached as well as when not attached, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea for solving this out??

Re: How to get rid of jumping cursor while typing in 2010 Dell Studio XPS laptop

I have found many people complaining about the same but then with my personal experience I think that this is not any issue but then it is our hand that touches the touch pad, I have been using Dell laptops from a long time, Dell Inspiron 4000 was my first one and I had the same issue with it but then later after some workaround I had changed the sensitivity setting of the touch pad to less sensitive and after that the issue was gone and i did not had any further issues with it, I am having Inspiron 6400 and Precision 6400 as well but then I am not having the same issue with them, I have made some changes in the typing habit with my hands as well so as to avoid the touch to the touch pads, I don’t think that this is some kind of issue but then if you think that you are not having the same case and it is some kind of hardware issue then better contact dell support and check out what they have to say about the same, I think that dell has the best technical support in the world, anyways just check out for the things I have mentioned and then let me know which one is helping you out.

Re: How to get rid of jumping cursor while typing in 2010 Dell Studio XPS laptop

I think that I can help you out here, actually I was having the same issue but the now I have solved out the same after trying out some trouble shooting, in my case I am using a Sony Vaio laptop and it is running Vista and Microsoft Windows office premium, I have found that the cure for the jumping cursor on-line is to disable it and then use a mouse, in order to do the same just go in to Control Panel (classic view)>system>hardware>device manager>mouse devices> and there you will get the touchpad listed as a mouse device so here you can first try out the latest driver and check out if it is making any difference if not then just uninstall the same and then make sure that you are rebooting the machine, I have done the same and I have found that this solutions is working out for me and I am not having the same issue again, just try it out and then let me know if it is helping you out as well or not.

I was having the same issue with my acer laptop and I had contacted the acer support for the same and they had replied me with the below solutions and I was able to solve it out with the same, so if anyone is still having the same issue then they can try it out.
    • First try adjusting the sensitivity of the touchpad by going in to Control Panel > Mouse > Device settings > Settings and there will be an option for sensitivity with + next to it so just click on the + sign so as to adjust the setting and check out the Palm Check settings as well.
    • If that does not help then you can try out turning off the touchpad by holding down the FN key and then pressing F7 key, you have to use the same for enabling it but then if that does not help then you can try out disabling the tap-to-click option for your touchpad and for that you can follow the below steps:

1)First go in to the system tray which will be near the digital clock and then right click on the Touch Pad. Now this icon will appear like a touchpad or a red square having a white circular shape inside.
    2)so just Choose Mouse Properties and then click on the tab saying Tapping and then disable the Tap-to-Click while typing and make sure that the box next to "Tap off when typing" is checked and then Click Apply and then OK, or just click on the tab labeled Device Settings and then Click on the button labeled Settings for adjusting Tap-to-Click while typing, for adjusting the same just Click the plus (+) sign which will be in the left menu next to the Sensitivity and after that Click on PalmCheck. No for reducing the area for tapping just move the slider towards Maximum, you can also slide towards the Minimum for increasing the area.
    • If that does help then better disable the Tap-to-Click feature completely by clicking on Tapping and making sure the box next to Enable Tapping is NOT checked. And then Clicking on Apply and then OK.
    • If the issue still exist then you can try installing the driver from your computer's hard drive with the help of eRecovery utility but then if this does not help as well then you can try downloading the Drivers from the laptop official site:

1)For starting the eRecovery program just move the mouse over the Empowering technology widget and after that just click on the eRecovery Manager icon, if you want then you can also press ALT and F10 on the keyboard for starting the program. I just wanted to add that if you are accessing the eRecovery feature you will be getting a prompt for creating a password, so make sure that you are making a note of the password that you are entering, if you are not having the correct password then you wont be able to use the feature of the eRecovery and the next window will be having the Restore option.
    2)So just chose the Restore option and then choose Install and then click on Windows Vista which will be on the left side and then chose the driver, you can chose any one from the list, you just have to right click the install link and follow the coming instructions and then the system will restart when the process gets completed.