Thread: Vaio VGN-6MJ shutting down abnormally

Vaio VGN-6MJ shutting down abnormally

Its happening from the time I have bought this laptop. This intel centrino 2.53 Ghz based Vaio VGN-CS36MJ is really messing around with me a lot. every time I starts this machine, during start up everything runs fine for about few minutes but then later on everything seems to be failing down. Starts from screen going black then the hard disk light go off. Slowly the speakers too goes off, the USB ports shut down and if I connect any external display then it might show no signal message during this stage of time. The power light and the battery charging (if connected) stays on, also the fan stays normal and runs as properly as it run during the normal time and it never recovers from this state until I restarts the complete system all over again forcefully. But then even after restarting the machine everything starts again from then onwards. I have been making several attempts where I used the recovery disks for making it factory fresh during this long process.

The strange thing is that the laptop never dies during this stage of time. However the story repeats after the windows is started. For you information let me tell you that I also ran a Vaio Care hardware diagnostic and you know it showed me that the hardware was working well and fine. At the end after all attempts being failed I took my laptop to the Service Center, there I was told by them that the GPU of my system has failed and therefore the motherboard needs to be replaced. They charged me heavily without even replacing the board, said that they might charge separately for the replacement. The price of the motherboard was almost equals the brand new Sandy bridge laptop. I didn’t drop the laptop anywhere until yet then how come the motherboard and the GPU got corrupted. My Laptop is just 1 year old and it’s still less than 3 year warranty but I think the warranty is of no use. Neither of the sony online support nor the service center is helping me with this issue. Trust me its since 5 month I have not yet used this laptop, it has for now became completely useless for me. Please help me out, what should I do. Is there anyone who has the best suggestion that could help me out?

Re: Vaio VGN-6MJ shutting down abnormally

Hey I can help you out if possible. First of all let me tell you that Automatic shut down is somehow built into the windows system. You just have to activate it in order to use the same. Anyways for activating and using it you need to follow certain steps.
    • Fist you need to select a new shortcut; you can do this by right clicking on the desktop
    • Now after that a shortcut dialog box is to be opened, over there in the location box you need to type the command: shutdown.exe -s -f -t seconds
    • Click Next for creating the shortcut on your system desktop screen, you can also rename it for your convenience so that it would be easier for you to use the automatic shutdown application

Now I would explain you about the text that you enter in the location box for activating the shortcut for the automatic shutdown. Please note down the symbols and the following properties
    • Firstly we will talk about the shutdown.exe; this thing indicates the calling shutdown executable
    • Secondly if you notice the text again you will see that “S” comes following shutdown.exe; this letter indicates the command for shutting down the system. As you can see S stands for “Shutdown”
    • After S you can notice the letter f that is following the letter S; now this letter “f” stands for performing a forced shutdown and after “f” there comes letter “t” which specifies the time in hour when the automatic shutdown that is going to occur

Re: Vaio VGN-6MJ shutting down abnormally

Laptops are made for not long time utilization. Most of them are for some 4 years of use. Everything depends upon the maintenance and service you do with the system. There are people who do not perform any kind of maintenance but yes tend to use their laptop roughly every day without fail everyday which later on results in end up getting the machine in some huge mess.

Speaking about my system, I generally use my laptop only for normal web surfing then chatting then studying some slides through PowerPoint and then also using Microsoft office. All in all I don’t go for any hardcore business or use of the machine. That this is the way I keep my system clean and light without forcing it to run heavy programs or such software that are beyond its own capability and will power. Such issue like yours is mainly caused due to the dust, lint and then accumulation of the certain unwanted things. I would suggest you to do some heavy cleaning your machine and maintaining it in the best way you can.