Thread: Update Samsung Galaxy S firmware.

Update Samsung Galaxy S firmware.

I have Samsung Galaxy S i9000 and I am bored with its old firmware and want to upgrade it. How can I upgrade its firmware. I don’t want to take any risk for my Galaxy S, and don’t want to root the phone. Is there any way that I can upgrade my phone without rooting it and having the official firmware upgrade?

Re: Update Samsung Galaxy S firmware.

There is a way that you can upgrade your firmware without rooting it. The update is available for Samsung Galaxy S i9000. But before the update of your firmware I suggest you to take the back up of your phone, so that you don’t lose any of data. Take backup of the necessary things which are important for you like your contacts, messages, notes and so on. Also take back up of the applications which you have installed. If you don’t take the back up of the applications you have again download and install it in your newly upgraded firmware. For firmware upgrade you just have complete the procedure in proper manner. For update of firmware you will need the Gingerbread 2.3.2 Android firmware, Odin v1.3 and pit 512. These are the software’s by which you will update your firmware. Download the software in your PC. And don’t forget charge up your battery or else it will distract you while updating it. After the completion of the download of the software, switch off the phone and remove your sim card, SD card.

Switch on the phone in download mode, you can go to download mode by holding the down volume key and the home key both together and while holding it switch the device on. Don’t run any of the Kies software components for a while connecting the device, after going to download mode in device connect it to the PC and run the odin software which you have downloaded. As you get connected to the odin, it will automatically install the required drives in your device and as it gets completed you will see a block turned yellow showing as id comp. As you see the block turned yellow your next step is to install the other options such as pit, pda, phone and csc file.
    • For pit file select the file you downloaded,
    • For pda select code_I9000XWJV1_CL31216_REV03_user_mid_noship.tar.md5,
    • For phone select MODEM_I9000XXJVE.tar.md5,
    • For csc select GT-I9000-MULTI-CSC-OXXJV1.tar.md5.

Don’t check or select for the options like reboot, debug en, do not interchange the options are selected or checked by default. If you want to select option select options like auto reboot or f.reset time. Before proceeding further please go through what you have selected and check the files which are selected are correct or not. When you are conformed that all the files and parameters you entered are correct click on the start button. It might take around 6-8 minutes to complete the process. And don’t plug out or disturb the ongoing process this will break the process and may even break your device. After the firmware gets upgraded the device will automatically get reboot and take around 1 minute to start the device and welcome you to home screen. If you have the older version of the kies then your Samsung galaxy s will not be shown after updating it to gingerbread 2.3.2. You have to update or download the latest version of the kies software.

Re: Update Samsung Galaxy S firmware.

I agree with you but now you can update your firmware to Gingerbread 2.3.5 officially. You have to proceed with the same steps which are mentioned above. If you are using any custom rom then you have to clear the cache files to install the official version, for clearing cache files you have to recover your device by going to recovery mode. For going to recovery mode you have to press the volume up key and the ok button together and holding it switch on your device. After than you will see options in that select wipe data/factory reset and also select wipe cache partition. Then reboot your device by selecting reboot system now. Now all your cache files and the custom files will be deleted and then following the above mention steps you can install the official version of Gingerbread 2.3.5.

As mentioned here you have to download the firmware for Gingerbread 2.3.5 and not for 2.3.2. Extract the firmware file and in that you will find such as odin3 v1.7 and some other files. Don’t delete the other files assuming that the files are not necessary. When you reach to select the files for the pit, pda, phone and csc. Select the following files.
    • PIT- s1_odin_20100512.pit
    • PDA-PDA_XFJVA_Sb1.tar.md5
    • Phone-PHONE_XXJVT.tar.md5
    • CSC-CSC_OXFJV1.tar.md5

Select the files and proceed as per the details mentioned above. With these you will be upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3.5.