Thread: iTunes is creating Empty “On-The-Go 2” playlist on sync in iPod classic

iTunes is creating Empty “On-The-Go 2” playlist on sync in iPod classic

I have recently bought an iPod classic and the problem that I am facing with the same is that when I am creating a playlist then I don’t know why iTunes is creating Empty “On-The-Go 2” playlist on sync , is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea for stopping it, I have tried out the possible solution that I could have but then they have not helped, any suggestions what might be wrong? I don’t think that I am missing anything.

Re: iTunes is creating Empty “On-The-Go 2” playlist on sync in iPod classic

I think that I can help you out here, so as you are aware when you create any playlist ON-the-GO then the playlist are created in the iPod Classic and after that they are playlist are created in the iPod Classic but then if you are willing to have only one On-the-Go Playlist then you can just delete those in iTunes while the iPod is connected to the iTunes, I am not sure but then it think that it has been developed to work in the same way for people who want to have a few On-The-Go playlist, I also wanted to add that the ON-the-GO playlist is not with the iOS 4.0 devices anymore as Apple has discontinued it and I doubt that there will be further changes in the iPod Classic after the 6th Gen firmware 2.0.4, anyways just try out what I have suggested to get rid of your issue, hope that helps.

I think that you have not yet understood what I am trying to say, anyways I will try to explore the same in detail.
    When I am listening to iPod and when I am creating some On-The-Go playlists and sync the same to iTunes then itunes is not showing On-The-Go playlists which is expected but then when I am listening to iPod and I just add some song to the On-The-Go playlists and do nothing and then after syncing the same to itunes, the iTunes is displaying two new playlists where the first one is On-The-Go 1 where as the second one is On-The-Go 2, I have added the song to the first one which is On-The-Go 1but then I don’t know from where it is showing On-The-Go 2 and the same is empty as well,I have checked out the same and I have found that it is happening every time when I am adding song to the On-The-Go playlist.
    Hope my issues are clear to you now??

In that case I will like to inform you that when iPod is connected to iTunes then the ON-The-GO playlist is basically copied to the iTunes database and if there is any data in that playlist then the On-The-Go is renamed like in your case which is On-The-Go 2 and it happened as per the number of times the ipod is connected to the iTunes, so if you are willing to get only one original ON-The-Go playlist then you will have to stop connecting it to the iTunes, I have found a no of users raising the same but then rather than getting it fixed they are getting more bugs as the functionality has been removed if you want then even you can give a feed back to the apple for the same and check out what they have to say about the same.

Even I will like to share my experience here, when I add an On-The-Go Playlist to iTunes from an Ipod Classic then the same is re-named as On-The-Go 1 etc and after that it is removed from the Classic and then the newly named On-The-Go 1 is copied to the Classic but then as you have mentioned the repeated re-connections to iTunes does not create a new Playlists from the On-The-Go 1, I have found that there has been some issues at Sync time with On-The-Go Playlists from the iPod Classic also with the Add Playlist on the iPod Touch from some months ut then there has been some improvement with the last update to iTunes, (10.6.1.7), after the 10.6.1.7 when a Playlist is created and is left as an On-The-Go on the Classic then it gets transferred to iTunes and after that it gets renamed and is copied to the iPod with the new name and a empty Playist is created in iTunes the empty Playist is created in iTunes of the empty Playlist is there since 10.6.1.7. I have been submitting such bugs to the Apple after every update but then this is the only improvement, I think that the issue is with the iTunes and not the iPod, I don’t think that there is any workaround that you can try out until the apple guys come up with a fix for this in their update.

Yes this is an bug and it has nothing to do with the user side so there is nothing we can do right now, when On-The-Go is created on the iPod Classic and is saved on the Classic with a New Playlist then it gets transferred to the iTunes without any such issues but then if the On-The-Go Playlist is not saved on the Classic then it stays as On-The-Go on the iPod and at Sync it gets transferred to the iTunes and renamed as On-The-Go X and after that it is transferred again to the iPod with the same new name, Now with 10.6.1.7 the On-The-Go get dealt correctly with the iTunes but then additionally a empty Playlist is created in the iTunes which should not be there, I don’t think that there should be any additional work to be carried by the user, if at all the Apple decides to change the working of the Playlists with iOS it wont be relevant to the iPod Classic in any means as the iPod Classic doesn't use iOS and then iPod Classic won’t be getting affected. I have been using IPod Touch (with iOS 4.2.1) as well as iPod Classic having "version 1.1.2 PC" as its operating system but then the common factor here is the iTunes and not the iOS, so I don’t think that we should report it as iTunes bug but then we should report it as iPod bug.