Thread: Samsung Kies unable to connect to Galaxy S

Samsung Kies unable to connect to Galaxy S

Hello friends, recently I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S. however I was already in a plan to connect the phone through Kies as soon as I get it home. I installed Kies on to my laptop and everything was set for the connection establishment after buying the phone. Now the problem is that when I tried to connect I always end up getting a message saying “Drivers need to be installed - preparing for driver installation”. I have always noticed that the progress bar always stay constant at 0% but then later on after 5 minutes the driver installation bar disappears. No matter what it says or what happens ultimately the result is that the phone remains unconnected. It’s a brand new phone and I have never tried Kies before for any kind of connection.

Actually the problem is that I am unable to make out where exactly the problem lies. Is it the laptop or the mobile phone or the Kies software? Tried establishing the connection number of times but always I fail to do so, now it really doesn’t matter for me if I get some other alternate solution or idea in order to get the image files transferred to my laptop from the phone. so its not necessary for me to get the things done to my laptop using Kies, anyone can suggest me any alternate suggestion for the same purpose. Let me tell you that theres no Bluetooth available in my laptop, so therefore no Bluetooth related suggestion will be liable for me. till now I have tried out multiple number of possibilities but none of them worked for me, like “mass storage mode” ; whenever I connect my phone to the laptop through a USB cord and the laptop however identifies and recognize that a mass storage device is plugged in and therefore after selection of this mode it says “Mass Storage Mode selected” but then whenever is select new “phone drive” I get a message saying “please insert a disc”. I am totally frustrated and now left with no idea what should I do. I don’t even have a MicroSD card so that I could probably insert it directly onto my laptop and get the things done. I was better with Nokia C902, it never created such huge problems ever till I own it. please help me out and let me atleast know with some alternate suggestion as already told before in order to transfer the files and images to the laptop, I really wanted to get things done as soon as possible. Waiting for a suitable idea.

Re: Samsung Kies unable to connect to Galaxy S

I can understand your pain, I really hurt a lot when you are in a hurry to do some work and something doesn’t allow you to carry on with what you need to do. I already happened with me, even I was in a need of connecting my phone to the laptop with the help of Samsung Kies but don’t know why due to some reason the connection was failed, I suspected my system. I am running windows 7 onto my machine. Even I use to get the same error message that you mentioned above whenever I tried the connection. But I didn’t keep quiet, after reading out the error message the first thing came into my thought was to turn off the automatic connect when the device is connected. Once automatic connect is disabled and I was able to connect the phone to the pc without any issue. The only thing was that I was made to wait for a while till the pc says “connected”, after this I would launch Kies. This idea is no doubt working well but its bit pain as we won’t be able to establish the connection normally. Anyways you yourself told in your post that you simply need an alternate suggestion so therefore I just thought to help you out by letting you know my trick and experience. Other than this I seriously don’t have any idea why this problem is being encountered in our machines. Maybe the fault is with the laptop or the phone or also it can be the Kies software.

I too had the same problem with Kies but fortunately the issue didn’t stay for a longer time as I was successfully able to find a solution for the same. The issue started occurring from the first time I bought my Samsung Galaxy S. I still remember the first time i tried the connection; I was very much excited to get some images and videos onto my new phone just to see how it looks on the screen but just because of the Kies I was till the end unable to get my phone recognize by the system but then after number of trial and lot of research I was successfully able to find a solution and get the phone recognized. What exactly I did was first:
    • Go to Settings
    • From there go to About phone
    • Then USB settings
    • Select Kies connection
    • Reboot both the phone and the system

Once you are done with rebooting both your phone and the pc just try connect both of them with the USB cable. Make sure that you try to connect your phone with the help of the same USB cable that came along with your phone. the reason I am telling you this is because the first time when I tried the connection I simply used my old handset’s USB which obviously didn’t work and made me more confused but then when I used the one which came with my existing phone i.e. Samsung Galaxy S, the phone was successfully recognized. Anyways after the connection make sure that you look into your phone’s screen and confirm whether it is connecting to Kies, if you are connected you will be displayed with a blue menu which will say Kies connected. If everything is fine till now your kies will be opened automatically and it will however start searching for the phone in order to update and install the required and necessary drivers. Don’t panic if the installation is taking time, it actually does take some time.

But you should surely take an action if the software is not giving you any response or if you feel that the process is freeze or hanged. Just see to it that you cancel the process and then again try to update the drivers but this time do it manually. Yes , you can update the drives manually by clicking on Kies at the top left of the program then select Driver recovery, now wait for the process to start the installation of the drivers. That’s it, now surely you will be able to use Kies for trasfering files and folders to your phone or vice versa but do remember that you reboot the pc as soon as the driver installation process is over. Not just the connection through kies but if you are facing problem with mass storage connection you try out the same procedure for a successful result. I mean now you can also connect your phone to your machine using the “Mass storage mode”.
    • Go to Settings
    • From there go to About phone
    • Then USB settings
    • Choose Mass Storage

Now connect your phone to your computer with the help of the USB cable and then openup the notification page by dragging it downwards on your phone, and then choose USB connection and then mount SD card. Once done with everything please see to it that you open up the notification page again and then select USB connection and turn off the USB before disconnecting the phone.

That was a cool answer. I am completely shocked to see that huge number of people are completely unaware of this thing, they don’t even have any idea of doing this thing as I have seen people coming up with the same problem and ending up having no solution for the same. You can take example of my own self, I am an IT student and I am very much aware of the technical things but then too until you provided me with this solution I was not even knowing that there might be such sensible and normal procedure to connect our phone to the computer. What about the people who are not even expert in this field, what they will do to get a successful connection establishment. I guess people who are facing the problem might be accidently hitting the Home key right after the connection is established without the knowledge that this actually takes the connection out of the Kies mode. They need to focus on this thread and get things properly placed. Hope from now onward no Kies users might get into trouble once after they follow the above steps and get the things properly placed into their phone and computer. Anyway talking about my issue, thanks a lot now I am really able to do things very much easily. i downloaded, installed the drivers then ran Kies and connected the phone to the pc and guess what? It works great now with no issue.

No the solution didn’t help me. I am having the exact same problem but then why not this solution is helping me out. I am still unable to sync my phone with the computer and unable to transfer files either of the side. let me tell you that my system is running Windows XP and I am having Samsung Galaxy S which I bought last week. Now when I connect my phone to the computer Kies starts up easily without fail, then I was prompted for downloading the latest version 1.5.1.10071_32 and so I did which completed successfully. Then Kies started up, now from here onwards my phone started behaving weirdly, I kept on flashing between the Home screen and the USB sign for about 10 seconds without stopping. And after this I received a message saying “Driver needs to be installed. Preparing for driver installation” as same as your problem. And after receiving this message everything freeze. I thought it might be due to installing the drivers automatically and therefore I decided to do it manually but then too the problem remained the same without any difference. I also tried connecting my phone as a USB storage device but the result is the same. Very much irritated with this issue, seems like my problem is never going to eliminated, better I myself get rid of this phone. so that at least I will not have to face any such similar problem with that phone.

I think its not good to comment negatively on anyone’s solution. I really do appreciate your suggestion but unfortunately it didn’t help me. Actually I must say that your suggestion did help me but not fully. It just worked partially. First of all let me tell that even I use to get the same problem with same error messages as mentioned above so therefore I decided to try out the above suggestion. As suggested I reinstalled the drivers but that didn’t help so therefore I decided to reset the phone, in fact I did so and from then onwards I started getting the USB connected sign but unfortunately landed me at some other issue. now I am not getting any MTP connections. I have a 4GB Micro SD card which is cluttered with music from the first time I used Kies. Now what should I do, is there any solution for the current problem I am facing now. is this issue related to Kies? Please help me out with this new problem now.

I am completely done with this app, I guess it’s not going to work anymore with my phone. This software seems not getting along with the phone. Not one not two, there are numerous number of error messages that I usually get whenever I try to establish the connection between the phone and the pc. And the most famous one is that the phone is unable to back up my contacts and therefore it is foreclosing with whatever I am trying to do. Changed my network, changed everything but nothing helped me. also I have suggested to update my Android software, without thinking twice I simply updated the software believing that it will help me out in some of the other way but I was always wrong. Also downloaded Kies again with new and fresh installation, let me tell you that I have already tried this thing before when my system was crashed due to it. just because I am unable to connect my phone to Kies I can’t back up the contacts and other important data, also I am unable to download music onto my phone.