Thread: TSMC 28nm process production shut down with the release of HTC One XL

TSMC 28nm process production shut down with the release of HTC One XL

Just correct me if I am wrong or make any fault in-between the post anywhere. I guess during mid of February SemiAccurate said that 28nm process production was shut down and HTC One X/S/XL announced its release date for 28th February. The release windows were within 60 days of the announcement at the Mobile world congress. Now at this moment of time everyone’s know that HTC is the biggest customer of TSMC and surely they are going to use least thousands of chips that they are going to manufacture in their phones. However as according to the dates the production was stopped during mid-February which means that it would have been bit before MWC. I am one of the genuine and regular customers of HTC, and being a customer I am quite sure that HTC would have been surely alerted about the major production failure. If you try to analyze the possibilities you can make out that everything is based on how the processes and the technology exactly work and not based on leaks. If we assume that the production is as mentioned above stopped in the mid-February, all the three variants including the high and low power processes are down with High-K and non-High-K. And if the low power variant of 28nm is still running its not going to affect analyze. Anyways if there’s anyone who has any of the related information they he or she is most welcome. Please have your comments.

Re: TSMC 28nm process production shut down with the release of HTC One XL

That’s really helpful information provided by you. I was actually with an impression that it was a recent and potentially still occurring shutdown but not sure with it. are you sure it was in February, may I know where exactly you read it. if the information is really true then I would surely say that we should be able to see the phone stateside by April or May. But other than this I must say one thing, if the production doesn’t really starts again then definitely we are going to be in a big trouble unless they are done with manufacturing all the HTC chips for the initial shipment before the shutdown and remember which is very much likely. If take any example of computers I am very much aware of intel’s low and high voltage processor differences. I never noticed that snapdragon's 28nm chip was ever on a separate line other than few of the other high voltage 28nm processors. There must be no official fix mention about the issue anywhere but remember that even a single site is enough to be an indicator that the problem is very much localized and however it should not affect a wide range of products. Its better if we wait for the HTC press conference which is supposed to be scheduled in future which might clarify almost all the things, we just have to wait for that day.

Ok, first of all let me give you short information that SemiAccurate is one and the only site which is from the starting onwards assuming that this new is true. Other than this site all others in the fabrication world says that they have nothing such of it. Even the well known and most popular ones deny it. This thread however really helps us a lot in knowing the fact and also made me personally believe that it’s true. And if everything is true then trust me it would be real worst marketing decision for the HTC in order to announce the XL that is to be released within 60 days of MWC only if they come to know that they will not be able to reach the demand just because of the TSMC shutdown. And High processes would be the core reason for this TSMC shutdown. We know that these high-power processes are somehow going to get into the graphic cards like Nvidia and AMD. As already said about the computer world, if you search you will find the AMD 7970 is currently facing problem with the rapid degradation, the same way there must be some possibilities that the issue is only affecting the high power processes.

I don’t have any recent or strong detailed information on this issue but just few of the rumors. Anyways right now the only phone that has the potential to keep me away from the one X is the note. But no matters what happens I am surely going to wait and watch the reviews from the international version which is now being hit the website at any point of time. this phone is very much identical and somehow the dual core krait performance is nearly going to be the same or even much better. I am very much keen to know more about the camera, battery life, and other important features of it.

Yeah even I have heard a lot about this thing. Really expecting one with some hard information release. Other than this speaking about the note, its better you have a proper look at the note and make yourself sure you really loves it. Better you don’t go for it until and unless it looks good with the way it feels in your hands. Its simply going to be antiquanted by HTC One X as you go for one. Another most interesting thing to be noticed is that the S4 and Adreno 225 are far over the Snapdragon 8255T and Adreno 205 that are in the note. Its not going to be worth unless and until you really fall in love with the screen size of the phone because I personally feel that its screen size is the only thing that is quite impressive. Its already an antiquated technology other than the stylus.

Yeah I am one of those who is really impressed with the stylus other than the screen size. But I must say that you can’t really have it all as the case is always the same and looks like very much true with the phones. Not sure whether it really came up or not but the Note should have introduced with a newer processor and ICS. For me the only thing that is stopping me from buying is the old S3 built into it. Anyways now I am surely going to use the car dock with the X and see to it whether its giving out the best output or not, it should satisfy me by being an overall nice device. I already had Samsung captivate with a huge bitter experience and now I have my Motorola Atrix. For me it only makes sense when I try out huge phones before I go on to own them completely.

I bought a brand new HTC Aria which was as according to my experience a quite average device. No doubt that it was a built well but it was not that impressive and powerful enough for me. Maybe you would have loved the phone if you had it. However then I moved on to Samsung Captivate which was more impressive than the previous device I owned. To be frank Motorola do not make me comfortable with its device, in short it always fails to impress me with what so ever come under consideration. Its only Samsung that always helped me and satisfied me all the way whenever I had a trouble. And regarding HTC I must say that even if I plan to buy HTC I would never be damn confident about going back to it just because of considering the problems except for ONE X. it really seems to quite promising, I have enough of expectations with One X and I know I will some remove all the negativities tagged up on HTC. Hoping for the best.