Thread: Which is better, HCL MeTab U1 or Micromax FunBook?

Which is better, HCL MeTab U1 or Micromax FunBook?

Hello everyone out here I want to know which of these two tablets are better. As we all know that these tablets are recently launched and also are a low cost tablets. Micromax funbook comes at a mere price of Rs. 6,500 while the lowest model of HCL MeTab U1 is available for a price of Rs 7,999. I want to know if I plan to get one then which one would be better for me. I am a college going student and I plan to buy one of this tablet. I don’t have much interest in the micromax because of the brand name it is while HCL looks a lot reliable for me. Still I want to know from you on what do you all think about these 2 devices. As I have seen some positive response about the micromax funbook but nothing to hear about the HCL MeTab U1. Do these two tablets provide some good education features for students of my age especially for those in the colleges? I am planning to buy a tablet soon do come up with a conclusion as of with which one should I go ahead? That’s my question for you.

Do reply out friends.

Re: Which is better, HCL MeTab U1 or Micromax FunBook?

I don’t think so there is any much difference in the hardware as well as the software of the tablet. Both the tablets have a 7 inch capacitive touchscreens with 800 x 480 pixel resolution. They run on Android 4.0.3 OS. While you can find a small difference in the processor, Micromax FunBook has a good 1.2GHz processor while HCL sticks to the old 1GHz processor. Both of them have a very low RAM i.e. 512MB and a vga camera at the front. HCL MeTab U1 and Micromax FunBook have HDMI port, USB ports along with WIFI support. The only thing that is different in the tablets are the battery. HCL scores good with the 3600 mAh battery while micromax looses the battle having only 2800 mAh unit of battery. As far as price is concerned you already know what is the price of the tablet. The Micromax FunBook available at a much lower price than the HCL one. So hope you did understand what I am saying here. now Iits upon you to make decision on your own and decide accordingly.

If you ask me then I would be going with the Micromax FunBook. First of all the price is really very attractive and the second reason being I don’t like the hcl products. So these are the two reasons why I am not with the hcl. Like you even I am a student and talking about the education perspective then micromax educational content marketplace called Vriti. You would be able to different type of course materials from there. I have heard that there are 500 different course materials with 30 different publishers for the same. so you have the feature of buying that published content, the rates may vary depending upon the article that you are going to buy. The same is not the case with the hcl one. The base tablet which is Tab U1 does not have any feature of educational content in it only the other version which is K12 version has course materials, so if you are planning to buy the tablet along with the course material’s then you will have to pay a total of Rs 11,499 (Rs 3,500 for the content,) they are offering a cloud service as well for a Rs2K extra . so if you want to subscribe to the cloud service then you will have to pay 2k extra and get the tablet for Rs.10K.

One more thing that I forgot to mention about the Funbook is that Micromax FunBook will not be supporting 3G but you will be given a separate Tata Photon dongle to stay connected. Isn’t it a nice offer all these at a price of Rs. 6,500. I am looking forward for this tablet. That’s why I would go for Micromax FunBook only, that’s it from my side for you.

It is always better to stick out to a tablet which has a better battery life, so when you compare these 2 tablets then I would say HCL MeTab U1 has a slight upper hand because it has a lower processor and also hosts a good battery i.e. 3600 mAh battery. If you see micromax Funbook then it has a 1.2GHz processor with only 512MB ram, such a small RAM memory is insufficient if we have Android 4.0 in our tablet and upon that the battery of HCL MeTab U1 is only 2800 mAh. So you only imagine how fast it would be consuming up the battery. As per I know the tablet will not last even for a day forget about day not even 4-5 hours at a stretch. I am sure people would start complaining about the poor battery life of this particular battery. So that’s why going with the HCL one looks as a smart option for me. Upon that HCL ha a good number of service centers across India so whenever we are stuck with the problem we know that there is someone nearby to solve the problem but the same is not the case with the micromax. They don’t have service centre’s across India and plus they rely heavily on the third party applications which makes them more vulnerable to break down easily. While HCL use their own spare parts in their products that’s why HCL are much reliable than the micromax one. I have made my point over here, whatever decision you want to make then its upon you. My choice would be HCL. If you want to switch to the micromax, then better go.

I think the above user is quite correct. If you want to buy a tablet for the everyday purpose means you don’t want to stick it for a long time then only go and get the micromax funbook because I don’t think so they are not much reliable. if you want to go with the Micromax only then I would ask you to wait for the Aakash 2 tablet which would be releasing anywhere around may and the good news is that even aakash 2 will be updated to the android 4 OS. That tablet will be made available to you at a price half of the micromax. So instead of wasting your money on Micromax I would say better waste it on Aakash 2. That would be a better option for you. So that’s all I can say for you. Anything else that you need to know then please do feel free to ask here.

I think Micromax funbook is a better option. It is in a huge user's demand. You can get the latest funbook of Micromax @ Rs. 6,399/- after 20% flat off..

Quote Originally Posted by sital View Post
    I think Micromax funbook is a better option. It is in a huge user's demand. You can get the latest funbook of Micromax @ Rs. 6,399/- after 20% flat off..
    From where you are getting the Micromax funbook at Rs. 6,399 and also getting 20% discount on same? One of my friend bought it at Rs. 6499 and there wasnt any discount given on same from ncarry website, which is the official dealer of the Micromax funbook tablet? This is really sad that he bought it a high rate.