Thread: Face unlock feature in HTC One S

Face unlock feature in HTC One S

You might know that the HTC one S has several more features which are yet not available in some other Android phones. The one feature I came across is a Face unlock. I don’t think that it provides a good security for the phone because I assume that it can be easily fooled. So to check it I used my computer. I just opened webcam program and put the mobile in front of the screen while it is showing my face pic. I thought that it would detect my Face from the computer screen but when it saw a computer screen, the screen immediately switches to pattern unlock. So this method didn’t work. Soon I will try another method if possible.

Re: Face unlock feature in HTC One S

With the use of front facing cameras, the HTC come with Face Unlock technology. This is same for other Android phones also. At first the Galaxy Nexus came with Face Unlock technology but not the HTC granted a patent for the same. So now you can unlock the phone simply by looking into phone or its front camera. I know that this technology is not new because from the past few years we have been using the same technology in some laptops. But there were frequent problem with recognizing users face in specific lighting conditions. So you might think that it is the same case for HTC. Actually wrong, the HTC comes with a solution here. When the face is recognized properly, the phone will ask for correct system passcode. Unless it is entered, the phone will not unlock at all. So this seems like a 2 ways or 2 tier securities. I think that the this HTC phone also automatically save each authentication face for future Face Unlocking

As far as I know that the Face Unlock is a latest feature of Ice Cream Sandwich because it comes with this update only and it was first available for Galaxy Nexus. But after few experiences from user, they have reported that it is not very secure but it is just a fun by adding one more method to unlocking. I don’t know what kind of Technology the HTC used here. The thing is Face Unlock fails, the phone will ask for a backup password to gain access. But HTC modified it a bit. When the user enters a password, the phone will save his face at that moment and add to the allow list for future Face unlock purpose. So due to this it become so easy to cheat a system or device.

This is one of the examples for saying that anything can be possible with Android. Since new technology comes with Android 4.0 only I think but I assume that developer had already started working on similar technology app for previous version of Android phone or tablets. This technology somewhat works like a fingerprint which you have seen in some phones and laptops or anywhere else. But for that system needs to have fingerprint scanner or sensor on device. But for Face unlock you will need a front camera only.

The smartphone manufacturer HTC has been granted a patent was granted to use your face as a way to unlock your smartphone thanks to the camera located on the front. With the growing popularity of Android 4.0 devices and ports, the function is widely available. But the recent decision on this patent means that HTC could put pressure on manufacturers and developers using the system ROM, and even uses legal means to force them to stop. The patent war is not new. In fact, in 2012, all smartphone manufacturers have been involved in legal disputes over ownership of core technologies, spending huge sums to pay lawyers and other patent experts to have ownership of this or such technology. It is not clear whether this patent HTC adds to its list of continuing to thwart the use of this technology by Google, since Google has partnered with HTC. However, this decision may give HTC some freedom vis-Ã*-vis Google, in addition to a sizeable check in return for the use of this technology on Android devices.

The patent, filed has a small difference to the current functioning of FaceUnlock. For if the face is not recognized, must be entered on current devices, a password to get access to the smartphone. In HTC's proposal is in correctly entering the password, however, face added to a list of "authorized users" - a feature that is missing in the current version of Google's FaceUnlock yet. Since the patent does not speak explicitly of facial features, but of biometric information to HTC has thus secured a patent on unlock by fingerprint. A concept that has only the Motorola Atrix has been implemented.

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has an interesting feature: the phone lock using a facial recognition tool. Even if security is not complete, this little gadget has the merit of its pti effect in the evening . You can indeed unlock your smartphone with a picture of you. To enable it follow these steps:
    • Go to "Menu" on your phone then "Settings", then "Security.
    • Select the "Screen Lock".
    • Among the options, you see "Unlocking the face". A warning tells you that the security level is not yet total.
    • The phone will then prompt you to put your face in front of the camera, although in the dotted line.
    • The system will tell you, if all conditions are met to save your face.
    • That done, if everything is good you should get this screen:
    • Click continue and you are done.

The patent claim that Apple is working on a release system for the face, to compete with Google Android OS. However, Apple does not stop at simple unlocking a device by the face on camera, the wording of patent application leading to a multitude of face control functions, including the automated messaging and other identifiers on the same device, allowing whole families to use the same tablet or smartphone without having to manually connect. The application states that "If the detected human face is recognized ... an operation of the (unit) can be changed depending on the face of the human recognized. The modification may include the execution of a predefined set of operations such as opening e-mails, text messages and so on. "