Thread: Nokia X6, unable to read contacts from SIM

Nokia X6, unable to read contacts from SIM

I am in a mess, that too big time. To explain you the mess is a very simple task for me, but I think the intensity of trouble it gets me into is unbelievable. Anyways, let me introduce you all to my issue. I use a new Nokia X6 which used to work simply fine till recent days! I am totally habituated to saving my contacts on my SIM card as I tend to switch phones frequently. This gives me an easy access to all my contacts on multiple phones. But, I got the shock of my life when I happened to realize that my Nokia X6 doesn’t let me do this. It is stubborn enough not to read my contacts from the SIM at the first place. It shows me this annoying message which reads: ‘No contacts. Contacts from selected memories not available.’ Even when I unlock the phone, it doesn’t serve my purpose a bit.

What do I do? All suggestions/helps are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Re: Nokia X6, unable to read contacts from SIM

Oh! Your frustration, clearly shows how important are your contacts to you. Contacts are extremely important even for a college going guy! You sound like some professional. Anyways, we are not interested in the discussion of the importance of contacts for you! Our topic lies somewhere else. Getting back, I am really unsure why is this happening? I would have suggested you to unlock your device and SIM card but as you have already tried it, it leaves me in a more confused state. I would want you to do something else for time being. The most basic thing to do in case of any bug which surrounds issue with SIM card; Just remove your device’s lid, loosen up the battery, remove the SIM, wipe it over a very smooth cloth. Don’t risk this, rather don’t wipe at all if you don’t find a very soft or smooth cloth.

After this, reinsert your SIM in the most perfect way possible, fix the battery and close the device lid. Try accessing your contacts and if required please unlock it again! I hope these changes are enough to solve it for you.

Perfect! It seemed to me when I did that and I was just waiting to reach home and fill your inbox with my ‘Thank You’ messages. Too excited I was till I realized this has turned out to be just a temporary solution for my issue. Anyways, I’ll tell you what exactly happened.

I removed the lid>battery and the SIM, managed to find a smooth cloth to wipe it with, I reinstalled them and restarted the device. To see the best of my joy, it worked perfectly alright and I could successfully read the contacts. After a couple of hours, the issue happened to resume and I could no more read the contacts. I again did what you said to find my contacts back and then to bid goodbye to it, soon after that.

This phenomenon occurred I don’t even know how many times but have left me in a happy-sad-happy state. Any other, permanent solution, you can think of?

Erm… now, I owe you an apology for that. So, talking about a permanent solution, I don’t know what it will be but even the temporary solution working is a very good sign in a way because it simply proves, the issue is resolvable at our end and you don’t have to contact the company and take the pain of giving your cell phone for servicing or refund. I would want you to do one thing. Please try restoring your device. No/1 don’t freak out. You can take all necessary back up before that and please try soft reset only initially. It is enough to fix the basic bugs in a device. Anyways, to restore your device, you need to do the following:
    - Go to ‘Settings’
    - Move to ‘Phone’
    - Then ‘phone management’
    - And then select ‘Factory Settings’

Is this gonna leave you dumbstruck like it did to me? My phone has completely stopped responding. What do I do now? It asked for a restart and I did that after which it has not responded only. I am in knee dip trouble. I cannot afford to keep my phone off for long.
    I expect a solution to this at least and that too as soon as possible.
    We can chuck the SIM contact thing for a while now. But please help me out of this. I am trying my part of research too.
    Don’t worry; I won’t touch it without telling you. But I am restless and panicky! Fix my device please.

Relax! Relax! Relax! Stop panicking. I totally understand that to suddenly see a brand new device refusing to get switched on is shocking! But let me tell you, this is not very big an issue. It is very normal and this happens with certain devices post-restoration. I’ll tell you what you have got to do, you just have to press 3 buttons simultaneously and this should solve the issue completely. The keys are the switch off/switch on key + the asterick ‘*’ key + ‘3’.

This’ll surely make your device obey you and get started as expected without the slightest of problems. Let me tell you, avoid panicking in such situations as it just make things worse. If there is a problem, there will be a solution. Also, I am glad you are sensible enough not to fiddle with your ‘disobeying’ device.

Thankfully, it got restarted and is working as expected minus the same old issue of SIM contacts. I am not sure if I am sounding greedy when I say this but is there any way I can get my contacts back and make it readable or rather accessible to me?
    It is important for me or else I would not have been pasteurizing you like this.
    Could you please suggest me of some ways and means by which I could actually sort this issue out and wipe my hands off with pride?
    I do not want to consider the option of returning my device. I am sure there is a local fix to this and I hope to discover it the soonest possible.

Yes! There definitely have to be a fix for this. As I suggested earlier, being relaxed should be your primary concern. For now, I could research and find one fix for the issue you are talking about. Have you installed the latest firmware available on your device? If not, I would like to ask you to do it using Nokia Suite. I have my reasons to recommend this; don’t just ignore what I mean to say. Try doing that ASAP and get back to me, I genuinely hope at least this turns out to be the permanent solution you are looking for.