Thread: Magnetometer of Compass app is inaccurate in Lumia 800

Magnetometer of Compass app is inaccurate in Lumia 800

I have been using Nokia Lumia 800 and it is just working great and I was not having any such issues with it as well but then today I have purchased the Compass app so as to use the same as my fall-back when I forget to carry my original compass with me but then I have found that it is quite inaccurate, I have found that it doesn't point towards North when I am just left to the settle, I have been trying to force it to show 'North' by spinning the phone in all the possible direction but then I have not got any success with the same , I have tried using magnetometer diagnostic tool as well and have got the same response with it, is there anyone else who has faced the same and has an idea so as to get it working properly???

Re: Magnetometer of Compass app is inaccurate in Lumia 800

I have been using Nokia Lumia 800 and it is just working great and I was not having any such issues with it as well but then today I have purchased the Compass app so as to use the same as my fall-back when I forget to carry my original compass with me but then I have found that it is quite inaccurate, I have found that it doesn't point towards North when I am just left to the settle, I have been trying to force it to show 'North' by spinning the phone in all the possible direction but then I have not got any success with the same , I have tried using magnetometer diagnostic tool as well and have got the same response with it, is there anyone else who has faced the same and has an idea so as to get it working properly???
    If you want then you can check out the Compass VO I think it is the best Compass app, I have not yet found people complaining about the same, I have come across no of people complaining that the Magnetometer in Diagnostics is quite fidgety and inaccurate as well and it appears as if it is just looking out for moss on the north side in the Northern Hemisphere and so, anyways you can check out the Compass VO, it is having the below features:
    • It uses internal digital compass (WP7.5, Mango)
    • It has multiple themes.
    • It is very Easy and intuitive
    • The Compass is capable of dialing for target bearing and orienteering
    • It allows one to take photo of your map and later use the same as background
    • For getting sight of the map for all the time

Just check it out and I am quite sure that you will like it.

I have checked out the above suggested app and it is appearing to be quite satisfying but then I just wanted to say that if it is capable of reading magnetometer data properly then even Compasses app can do that, I have raised the same in other forum and a guy had suggested me to calibrate the compass by just holding the phone out and the waving the same in figure of 8 pattern for some seconds, saying that it will re-calibrate the compass and will give me accurate result but then I have tried out the same and I have not got any success with that method, is there anyone else who have tried out the same and have got any success?? Or is there any other thing that I can try to get more and better accurate results??

I have tried out doing the same and even I have not got any success with the calibration process that has been mentioned above, when it made not effect in my case as well I had contacted the Compasses devs and they just said that it is a known issue and they are aware of the same but then it is just with some of the nokia devices and not all and they will be solving it out soon, they even added that a patch is currently in review and they will be coming up with it in a few weeks but then they have not yet addressed the date, I have tried using compass vo as well and eve it is inaccurate, I am not very sure but then it seems like it is an software/hardware issue, just wanted to know that has anyone one got the lumia 800 compass working accurately??

I guess it is software related, as the magnetic North is correct (rum diagnóstica app/magnetometer). The error is the wrong magnetic declination for my location. Compass VO app has a template showing mag. North reading but it's the same true North w/ the incorrect declination.