Thread: How difficult is to make good Ereader

How difficult is to make good Ereader

I wanted to know that weather is it too difficult to make a good reader for textbooks and PDF’s. As I have noticed that all the giant player makers are manufacturing tablets or e-ink. So I would like to ask you’ll is it that difficult to make it? I don’t think it is require having a great battery which works for more than a month or so as it is ok if it works for 12-15 days that is enough. I am not able to understand why does these companies are not able to give us this all stuffs. Like as the size of text book page diagonally why can’t they provide E-ink screen size as same as that. Even they are not able to make focus page to work fast. Even they are not able to fast processors. Not able to understand why they are not able to provide 1 Gb Ram. And even they should provide a light weight Ereader as it would be easy to carry it. Even if possible they can give buttons for TOC directly. I would also like to see if they can provide a reference button by which it can be easy to refer/switch 2 books at a time. Even if possible if they can add a slider or a wheel like a button which can be used for changing pages etc. Like if you want to go to 10th page you can directly use that button and slide it to 10th page. Even they should provide a good bookmark option I know they have already provided the option but if we book mark anything we do not know what we have book marked. At least give an option to remain it or something like that. And mainly if they are making an Ereader there should not be any music player, Wi-Fi etc to do other work that is not required as people go for Ereader only for Reading books and not listening to music and all.

Re: How difficult is to make good Ereader

As you have mentioned about the Size of the Ereader I think they are not increasing it because of the portability option and they would be also considering about the cost of the Ereader. As if you required a big size Ereader Kindle are available in big screen size also. And if you consider the Novels and mostly the text then I think 6 inch screen is good for reading. And it can be also fitted in the pocket easily. And about the Wi-Fi point as you have said it is not required but as per me I think it is required because by using Wi-Fi you can easily download any books and if it is not required they you can any time turn the Wi-Fi off.

Both of you have good valid points. I would say about the battery life as you have said that there is no need of battery life to be more than a month it is enough for 12-15 days but let me tell you I am using Nook STR and I use it daily and I have to charge it almost once a week as the battery life depends on the page turns and if the users read for more than an hour or two then the battery has to be charged once a week for sure. But as one of my friends has Kindle and he told me that he has to charge it once or twice in 2-3 months as he does not use it much. So I think Battery part is ok.

Ohhh I don’t think all the things which you require are easy to make as if the requirements what you required are only for your point of views as I have seen many suggestion of different people they are really happy with the current scenario and they are not complaining about anything. But yes I agree to one of your point that they should not provide internet but companies are here to earn money so they will provide as many features as they think which people would love to use. And because of which they sell more and more of their devices. And I think many things which you have mentioned are already available in many Ereader like multi-page jump suggestion.

I would like to comment on some of your suggestions. About the size part, I think if they use LCD it can slow down the issue. About your focus point I would say latest generations are really good. About the processor it is not required as if you have fast processor it would heat the Ereader pretty fast and more over that it would also reduce the battery life. So I think it is not required as of now of you only use Ereader for reading purpose. About the Book marking thing they have already made this feature in almost all the Ereader. And about Wi-Fi I would need it for sure as I do not want to spend money on 3G service.

I think I have not mentioned a proper title but now it’s ok actually the things I have mentioned is not for the reading Novels or text content I have mentioned all things for textbooks. As much as I know that textbooks / technical PDF’s readers are very totally different than the normal non textbook readers. As 6 inch is not the best screen for the textbooks reading. As the 6 inch Ereader is good for daily reading that to 1-2 liners as I don’t think they would be dividing it into the TOC usually. And about textbooks if it really very much different as you need to refer many different things and not only that much it can be also that you would need to switch pages many times. Even in textbooks it can be also possible that you need to change or jump or go back to some other chapter etc. And for this the options which I have mentioned as more good so that they can be easily use it.

I would say that the big eInk markets are totally vanished and it has taken place of tablets. And about the size increasing in Ereader I would be really shocked if any of the big manufactures would manufacture a new big eInk device. Yes then can make some changes like if they comes out with a color eInk screen then I think they can compete tablets. And about the tablets this are the devices that people are now a day’s using in their day to day life as almost all things can be easily done on a tablet.

Check these features of Kindle Fire 4 it has many of your answers in specification only. As it has good processor but short life battery and many more things.

Kindle Fire Features:
    • New Faster Amazon Silk Web Browser with cloud-accelerated, split browser architecture
    • Free Cloud Storage
    • Durable design and resistant to accidental scrapes
    • IPS touchscreen with extra-wide viewing angle
    • Amazon Appstore for applications, games
    Kindle Fire Technical Specifications:
    • 7″ inch (1024×600 pixels) multi-touch display with IPS Panel
    • 1GHz Dual Core Processor
    • 512MB RAM
    • 8GB Internal Memory
    • Wi-Fi Connectivity
    • Top-mounted stereo speakers
    • 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
    • USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)
    • Battery Life: Up to 7.5 hours
    • Dimensions: 190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm).
    • Weight: 413 grams
    Amazon Kindle Fire Price in India: Approx 12,000 to 14,000/- INR