Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad E420s is making a squeaking noise in the top left corner of the screen

Lenovo ThinkPad E420s is making a squeaking noise in the top left corner of the screen

I have been using Lenovo ThinkPad E420s and I never had any issues with the same but then now I have found it to be making squeaking noise in the top left corner of the screen, I thought that it was the hinge but then later after a thorough inspection I have found that it is the corner of the monitor, is there anyone else who has faced the same? Is there anything I can do about it??

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad E420s is making a squeaking noise in the top left corner of the screen

I have been using Lenovo ThinkPad E420s and I never had any issues with the same but then now I have found it to be making squeaking noise in the top left corner of the screen, I thought that it was the hinge but then later after a thorough inspection I have found that it is the corner of the monitor, is there anyone else who has faced the same? Is there anything I can do about it??
    I just wanted to know that have you noticed any gaps in the lid when you squeeze the top corner slightly?? I don’t think that it is having any screw covers in the bezel and that’s the reason I feel that it is the bezel and the lid that might be snapping together, just try to hold each corner of the lid and then try to twist it slightly and see if you are getting the same squeaking noise or not, just check it out and then let me know what you find.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad E420s is making a squeaking noise in the top left corner of the screen

I have tried doing what you have mentioned and when I am squeezing the corner then it is making a bit of squeaking noise and when I am grabbing each corner and twisting the way you have said then the squeaking noise sounds louder even when I am applying a little bit of pressure on the same. There are no gaps and anything suspicious like that as the laptop has not faced any physical damage but then I don’t know how come it occurred is there anything else I can do??

It seems it is the bezel and the lid that are snapping together, if possible then just provide me the your hardware maintenance manual so that I can have a better idea of your system, just check if there are any rubber or small plastic squares on the bezel, I think that it might be the screw cover, if possible then just get small piece of scotch tape and then squeeze the corner together and round the tape across it and see if the squeaking noise is disappearing , I don’t think that there is any other thing that you can try out, if you are not willing to do the same and if you are under the warranty period then get it repaired.

I have inspected it again and it appears as if there is 2 screws at the bottom where the bezel is snapping on and off, the laptop is under the warranty period but then I have contacted the service support and they said that it won’t be covered under the warranty as it is not interfering with the functionality of the laptop, it will be very helpful if you can help me out in fixing it, below is the hardware maintenance manual, just check out the same and then let me know if you could help.
    Hardware maintenance manual

I have checked out the manual and the Page 77 in the manual is showing the bezel coming off but then make sure that there is a plastic catches which is holding them on, be careful while taking the 2 screws on the bottom of the bezel and then just unsnap the bezel. There is no need of taking out the whole bezel off but then just take the left side and the top, after that check out the gap where it squeaks and if you have 100% clear silicone or something like that then just use a drop or two and then apply the edge of the bezel and then apply it on the contact with the lid and snap the bezel back on, just try out the same and see if it is helping.

I am having the same issue with lenovo ThinkPad Edge 525 (12002GG) I have been looking out for XP drivers for the graphics but then I am not able to find it out, is there anyway where I can disable switchable mode?? I have asked the same in some other forum and there a guy had said that it is under the BIOS but then in my case I am having the following Boot Display Device:
    • ThinkPad LCD
    • Analog (VGA)
    • Digital on ThinkPad

I am not able to find a way out for disabling the switchable graphics. Is there anyone who can help me out as well.