Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad w520 display is not dimming or switching off

Lenovo ThinkPad w520 display is not dimming or switching off

I have bought Lenovo ThinkPad w520 and the problem that I a facing is that the display is not dimming or switching off even after setting "turn off display" after 1 minute for power as well as power and in the windows "personalize" I have set the screen saver to 10 minutes where as in under "change power settings" "Change plan Settings" I have set it to "Turn off the display" after 1 minute but then they are just not making any difference, is there anyone who can help me out here??

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad w520 display is not dimming or switching off

I have bought Lenovo ThinkPad w520 and the problem that I a facing is that the display is not dimming or switching off even after setting "turn off display" after 1 minute for power as well as power and in the windows "personalize" I have set the screen saver to 10 minutes where as in under "change power settings" "Change plan Settings" I have set it to "Turn off the display" after 1 minute but then they are just not making any difference, is there anyone who can help me out here??
    I think that you might be missing some software which is required for OS to control such things, so just try out running the Lenovo System Update application and then install all the missing bits' also make sure that you are downloading 'System Interface Driver' which is basically a part of 'Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 7' package, just check out these things and then let me know if your issues is getting solved or not. If you have any further issues then let me know.

I have already tried out the same and it is not making any difference in my case, it seems as if it is some kind of issue with the windows but then I am not willing to reinstall the windows now, I have kept the same as my last options, if anyone has some other workaround for my issues then please post it here, it will be very helpful.

In that case just follow the below steps:
    • First go in to control panel folder and then choose the control panel entitled "Lenovo Power Controls" after that you will get a splash screen so just check out the version there.
    • After that when you will get the main window just press the button in the top corner so as to switch to "Advanced" mode. Once you are done with the same then check out the power plan that is active in the left panel and then chose "Power Source Optimized" From the choices that will be available there.
    • After that click on the round button which will be aside to the "Idle Timers" for expanding the choices and now check out the settings for 'Dim Display' and then click on APPLY, then press OK and you are done, just check it out and then let me know if it is ending the issue.

If the above solution is not helping you out then just go to start and then click on run and then type “cmd” without the quotes and when you get the Command Prompt open the just type “powercfg –requests” without the quotes and then it will let you know that what is stopping the display from turning off, just check it out and then let me know the result that you get for further help.

Even I am having Lenovo ThinkPad w520 and I was facing the same issue and I had tried out changing the settings like you did but then they were just not helping, later after a lot of trouble shooting I found that we can just make use of Fn-F3 power off the screen manually, if you are not aware of the same then just use then and find it out. Hope that helps.