Thread: Unable to use 64GB Sandisk flash drive in windows 7 64 bit

Unable to use 64GB Sandisk flash drive in windows 7 64 bit

I bought this 64GB SanDisk flash drive from Best Bay and unfortunately it showed me an error at the first time I tried to plug into my system. Let me tell you that I have a windows 7 64 bit running laptop with me and I connected this flash drive into it the first time which told me that I need to format the drive without any reason.

The problem not just limits till here, after I try to format the drive it says formatting fails and the drive then becomes unusable. Any suggestions please?

Re: Unable to use 64GB Sandisk flash drive in windows 7 64 bit

The first thing I need to ask is that whether this issue persist only in your laptop or the same thing is noticed if you try to connect the device on some other pc or laptop. Also let me know how exactly you try to format the flash drive, you do it by quick format option or from Admin Tool Config Management format option. If you do it by quick format option I would suggest you to also try out the admin tool config management format option.

The issue is completely with the system and not with the flash drive. I too have the same drive with same issue, the most interesting thing is that when I try to connect the drive to my desktop computer running windows 7, it works well and fine whereas when I connect it to my laptop running the same OS the issue persist. When I formatted my complete system and reinstalled windows 7 everything worked well from then onwards. I would suggest you to do the same with your laptop too. And remember there is no problem with the flash drive so better don’t try to replace or return it if you are in any such plan.

The most interesting thing is that not just my system gives me an error message saying that I need to format the drive but also my computer is unable to detect the flash drive size correctly. As mentioned above even my Sandisk flash drive is 64GB but when I insert it in the machine it shows the drive as 64MB. Hope you can make out this vast difference, not 1 or 2 the system has failed to detect the size in terms of GB. it tells me that I have inserted 64mb of drive.

Also another interesting thing is that after I format the drive as suggested to me in the error message when I try to reinsert the flash drive again I am shown with the same message saying that I need to format the drive. This is really very much funny, how come the system tells me to format a device which I have already formatted.

The most interesting thing is that not just my system gives me an error message saying that I need to format the drive but also my computer is unable to detect the flash drive size correctly. As mentioned above even my Sandisk flash drive is 64GB but when I insert it in the machine it shows the drive as 64MB. Hope you can make out this vast difference, not 1 or 2 the system has failed to detect the size in terms of GB. it tells me that I have inserted 64mb of drive.
    Are you sure that you have checked the device size from the correct place, I mean did you right clicked the correct driver and then viewed the drive information and size from the properties.

Also I would like to suggest you to get into control panel and then uninstall all the USB drives. Once successfully uninstall the USB drive reinstall the drives.

Before you reformat the hard drive make sure that you make the partition into 3 as follows:
    • C: drive for the OS
    • D: drive for all your User Documents files
    • E: drive for the Windows 7 backups

And when you reinstall windows onto it make sure that 32bit version is an alternate option for you else you might consider a Linux variation. Probably the solution till now has been proved to be working in other desktop system so definitely the same thing should be working in laptops too.

In my opinion I personally believe that if the flash drive is not functioning properly in a laptop running windows 7 64 bit but working fine in desktop running the same windows 7 64 bit version then surely the problem persist on your laptop and not with the flash drive.

I would suspect windows 7 settings for this cause or one of the laptop’s 30 trial security applications that are causing the problem

The problem not just limits till here, after I try to format the drive it says formatting fails and the drive then becomes unusable. Any suggestions please?
    To perform the following trick you need to download an Utility called Apacer Formatting Utility from internet. once done with it you can simply format your flash drive without any issue
    • Unzip the utility to a folder on your hard disk
    • Keep your USB drive plugged in
    • Now double click on the Start.bat file in the folder
    • Your USB drive will now start formatting
    • Wait till the drive formatted successfully

Seems like the problem is with the virus and nothing else, obviously if you are able to access the same drive on other system properly without any issue and also if you do not find any sort of problem with the flash drive then your laptop is the main cause and if you ask me I would however point out the security settings for everything. Maybe you need to however check the security settings of your laptop and make sure that there is no such thing enabled or disabled that is preventing the Flash drive from getting formatted. Also if possible please let me know which antivirus you are running, try to switch to some other antivirus.