Thread: Which is the Best WiFi Card for Lenovo ThinkPad T520

Which is the Best WiFi Card for Lenovo ThinkPad T520

I have been using Lenovo ThinkPad T520 and I am not having any issues with the same but then now I am willing to change the OEM 1x1 WiFi card that it is having, I am not very sure but then I guess it is Realtech8192, the reason for changing the card is that I am getting very poor performance with it when connecting at the high speed, using it 54g seems to be virtually impossible, anyways I just wanted to know that which card will be best for Lenovo ThinkPad T520?

Re: Which is the Best WiFi Card for Lenovo ThinkPad T520

I have been using Lenovo ThinkPad T520 and I am not having any issues with the same but then now I am willing to change the OEM 1x1 WiFi card that it is having, I am not very sure but then I guess it is Realtech8192, the reason for changing the card is that I am getting very poor performance with it when connecting at the high speed, using it 54g seems to be virtually impossible, anyways I just wanted to know that which card will be best for Lenovo ThinkPad T520?
    I just wanted to know your Lenovo ThinkPad T520 so that I can have a better idea of the WiFi Card that will be best for it, so just post them here for further help. Till then you can check out Intel cards and see if you are able to choose one as per your need.

System specification of my Lenovo ThinkPad T520 is as followed:
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
    • Intel & Nvidia 4200M graphics
    • 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter

Even I am keeping the Intel cards as my option but then as I have found a no of people facing issues with it I am hesitating a bit to get one from them, what are my other options.

I know that there are people having issues with Intel Wireless card but then I will like to inform you that most of them are having A generic Intel N 1000 which is not allowing them to boot the system, anyways if you are getting an Intel Wireless N 1000 from Lenovo then I don’t think that you will face any such issues, so I will suggest you to use a Lenovo-branded card as Lenovo BIOS uses a wifi card white list, so just keep that thing in mind as well.

I think that Intel Centrino 6300-N will be the best choice for Lenovo ThinkPad T520, it is an 3x3 card and it is really much better than Realtek 1x1, the FRU of the Intel Centrino 6300-N card is 60Y3233, so just Contact Lenovo Parts/Sales and then cross check the FRU, I think that they will definitely help you in getting a better deal, when you are able to acquire the card then you can just visit the Lenovo Support website and then refer to the materials for removing the old card and adding the new one, there will be good guides regarding the same. Hope that helps.

I think that the ThinkPad should come with the below cards
    • Intel Centrino N 6305
    • Intel Centrino N 6300

I don’t know why they are still continuing with Realtek 8192CE even after getting negative feedback for the same, I think that the above ones are really the best one that you can get for ThinkPad.