Thread: how to make 16GB Cruzer USB drive writable

how to make 16GB Cruzer USB drive writable

It’s a brand new 16GB sandisk Cruzer USB drive which is creating a problem. The next moment I bought this USB drive I tried coping 12.5GB worth of .iso images just to make sure that the drive is working well and fine but seems like my testing failed. The coping was going on successfully till a huge 3.5GB file copied after that my windows 7 started giving me messages and reports saying that the device is read-only. After that no coping took place. All the files which were lined up for coping after that 3.5GB file were failed to transfer. I have completely failed to make the drive writeable or change anything to the drive. Is there anyone who can help me out in some way at least?

Re: how to make 16GB Cruzer USB drive writable

I am aware of the issue but I guess this should not happen with your brand new device as a new USB drive is always set and prepared to read and writable. Many times it happened with me, even if get in the Disk Management I fails to edit the drive letter partition, format or make any changes to it. But then I was suggested to log into administrator and do some R&D with the sharing and permission etc which actually sorted the issue. if nothing in your case helps you please do the same I mentioned.

Always make sure that the .iso files are not larger than the limited size. I mean if your .iso files are more than 4GB they will not be able to fit on the FAT32 formated device which is what exactly all the USB devices comes formatted as. Remember one thing windows 7 system always has the capability of adding and appending things to the libraries and those libraries has the share with option which I guess is quite new which inturn defaults to Read only.
    Make sure that your ISO files is somehow mentioned in any of the windows 7 libraries; those libraries could be Documents, Music, Pictures or Videos.

Try out the following things and then let me know the whether there are any changes noted by you:
    • Try out the same USB drive on some other system or pc
    • Or else try out some other USB drive on the same system
    • If multiple OS is installed in the same system, just try to use the same USB drive on the same system with some other OS

That’s a good suggestion I must say. Once if you try out the above things you will end up having two things, if any of the 3 suggestion work you are out of the mess and if not then you will end up having a proper conclusion. If the issue is sorted out with some other system then definitely the problem was with your own system and if the issue is sorted out with some other OS then your current OS is having the issue. And if both the thing do not work then surely you will be clear that the problem solely involves the USB drive. You can now point out the exact cause for the problem from the USB drive.

Other than this what can do is Open My Computer window, Right click on the device letter and click on Properties and then just let me know what information is provided to you in the File system.

Using some other system does not help at all. I am also having the same issue. ask me, I have tried out almost all the possible tricks including yours. I have a desktop PC and a laptop with me running windows 7 64 bit and none of them can possibly make the USB drive work on them. Also I found many people having the same problem with their drive, checked out multiple related thread and the most interesting thing was that all the thread was closed without having any solution. Seems like the device itself is defected and need to be replaced or returned.

Are you sure that your device is set to read only and not read/write both. The only reason I am asking you so is to just verify that there is no issue with the permission. If the device is set to read only then you need not have to worry, you can simply change the permission from the settings but if the permission is already set to both then there is something to worry for you.
    Anyways you can simply check to verify whether your device is set to read only for this you need to follow the below steps:
    • Start
    • Run
    • Type cmd
    • In command prompt type: ECHO Hi, I am echoed to a text file>?:\mynicefile.txt
    Just replace the ? with the USB drive letter and once done press enter and post back the result over here.

Remember one thing windows 7 system always has the capability of adding and appending things to the libraries and those libraries has the share with option which I guess is quite new which inturn defaults to Read only.
    I would like to continue with your statement. Even I recently heard that windows 7 have a new function introduced called as Libraries to which you can make it classify things automatically as Documents, Music etc and just inside those Libraries you can find a column called share with.

Once if you are assured that your ISO file on the USB drive is a part of your windows 7 libraries then you can simply use the Share with function and then you can set it to Read/Write. If you set to Read/write everything is done, it should definitely eliminate you issue. I too had the same issue long back ago when I bought a new USB drive but then by clicking on the Read/write option everything was fixed.

I am a windows user and also a technical expert; according to I guess the issue has nothing to do with the file system and the permission. If I am the victim I should have been easily able to delete the file system/partition or whatever I choose from the Disk Manager but I guess there is no such permission. The only solution you could be provided is to exchange and replace the device from the place where you have purchased and get a better one that works properly. Make sure that you check the device properly before going on for any purchase of Sandisk, seems like sandisk have now a days gone downward with the product quality.