Thread: loud keyboard sounds in one area of Lenovo ThinkPad T420s

loud keyboard sounds in one area of Lenovo ThinkPad T420s

I have recently bought a Lenovo ThinkPad T420s and the problem that I am facing is that there one group of keys is making loud sounds, it is with DELETE, HOME, END, PGUP, PGDN group, I am not having issues with the keys and they are working fine but then there is noticeable clunking sound, I have never this on other laptop so I don’t have much idea about the same, is there anyone familiar with this??

Re: loud keyboard sounds in one area of Lenovo ThinkPad T420s

I have recently bought a Lenovo ThinkPad T420s and the problem that I am facing is that there one group of keys is making loud sounds, it is with DELETE, HOME, END, PGUP, PGDN group, I am not having issues with the keys and they are working fine but then there is noticeable clunking sound, I have never this on other laptop so I don’t have much idea about the same, is there anyone familiar with this??
    That seems to be weird and it appears as if this is some kind of hardware issue as it is not with all the keys and just with some group of keys, if possible then just remove the keyboard and check it out and see if you are able to track out the cause of this issue, a better idea will be contacting the service center and sending it for repair.

I am not very sure about your case but then once I was having similar issue with R60 near the Ctrl-FN keys region and in order to solve out the same I had Lift up the keyboard and had inserted pieces of tape under it and after that I was not getting the same sound, you can definitely give it a try as you just have to remove few screws but then if you are not willing to do the same then you should send it for repair. I don’t think that there is any other workaround that you can try out further.

I am not willing to try out the same as it will be voiding the warranty, since it is very new I cannot take any chance and I will send it for replacement a day after tomorrow, in order to make my issue clear to you, you can just goggle out “Clunking sound on ThinkPad T420s keys (Delete, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn) “ and check out the video for the same, the issue in the video is for T410s but then there is not much difference between T420s and T410s, the keyboard seems to be the same as well and my keyboard is making same sound as that in the above video. Just go through that once and see if anyone of you can help me out with a better workaround.

I will like to inform you that the warranty won’t get voided as removing the keyboard will be making non-negligence changes, the other thing I wanted to share is that the keyboards might look identical but then there are three parts suppliers and all the three have different tolerances as well as mechanisms, if you want then you can pick one of the keys and check out if the switches are different and so, you can just make an inspection for this issue but then I am not very sure if you will be able to solve it out though.

I had faced the same issues with the same keys (Delete, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn) and it is some kind of hardware issue as one has already addressed it, I had send it for the replacement and have received a new one and I am not having the same issue anymore, so just visit the service center and see if they are replacing the whole laptop or just repairing it, better ask them for replacement. Hope that helps.