Thread: SATA hard drive caddy got jammed in Ultrabay of Lenovo ThinkPad T510.

SATA hard drive caddy got jammed in Ultrabay of Lenovo ThinkPad T510.

I have recently purchased SATA hard drive caddy and had tried to insert the same in the ultrabay having an SSD in it and I was able to insert the same without any issues but then now it is just not coming out, I have tried pushing the unlock switch over and then push the second switch up but then it is not helping, so I have planned to send it back to the Lenovo but then before doing the same I just wanted to know if anyone can suggest me something on this??

Re: SATA hard drive caddy got jammed in Ultrabay of Lenovo ThinkPad T510.

I have recently purchased SATA hard drive caddy and had tried to insert the same in the ultrabay having an SSD in it and I was able to insert the same without any issues but then now it is just not coming out, I have tried pushing the unlock switch over and then push the second switch up but then it is not helping, so I have planned to send it back to the Lenovo but then before doing the same I just wanted to know if anyone can suggest me something on this??
    In that case you can try to open the keyboard and check out if there is something wrong and what is stopping it from coming out, I think that’s the only option that you can try out, if you are not able to take it out normally, just try it out and then let me know if it is helping. Best of luck.

So now I have tried doing the same but then the other issues here is that one of the screws that is holding the keyboard seems to be very tight and it is not coming out as well, I have tried my best but then the screw seems to be getting cut and I am not willing to try it more harder, if I do so then I will be rounding off the screw head, is there anything else that I can try out??? Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

Here I just wanted to know that was the Ultrabay Adapter having the black ejection stub next to the SATA connectors as you can check out the same in the below image??

If it does not then it might be an Ultrabay II and not III and the 500-520 series need to have the stub for the ejecting mechanism, if is 9.5mm adapter then there are possibilities that the SSD is sticking up which is further blocking the ejection, can you just let me know from where you have bought the ssd or a link having the same?? So that I can have a better idea of your case??

If it is a 9.5mm UB III then might be having a minor gap across the top, so you can use a second pair of hands and then just Turn the unit right side up and then try inserting a slim knife in that gap, when you are ready with this trick then you can try to press down on the SSD and working on the two eject buttons at the same time. The knife will help you out if you have mounted the SSD in a caddy as there are possibilities that the thin plastic pull tab is the thing blocking it.

I have bought “2nd SATA Hard Drive Bay Caddy 12.7MM for Lenovo Thinkpad T420 T510 T520 W520” from the ebay site and it is having the stub that you have marked in the above image, actually when I inserted the SSD then it had not connected well to the SATA connectors and that’s why I am trying to remove it again but then now It is jammed badly, I have also tried it ejecting with the laptop the right way up as well but then it is not coming out, is there any other trick that I can try out??

I have checked out the same and it is not 9.5mm but then It is 12.7mm adapter, so I don’t think that there might be any gap but then it might be having 4 screws and holes in the bottom for holding down the SSD, I wanted to add that they won’t be lining up if the SATA connectors are not fully seated, anyways I think that a spatula or say a thing blade like the one has already mentioned above are the best options that you can use, if you are still not able to make out then better send the unit to the Lenovo.

I still doubt about its dimension, so just let me know the following things so that I can try to help you out with it.
    • Height of the SSD drive 9.5mm just check out the make & model on OEM site to be sure about the same
    • Is the release slider for the Utrabay moving??
    • Was the ssd drive that you were having in mounted in/on the tray??

Have you tried using a knife above the tray or sliding it in the top to get over the SSD, if not then try it out it will help you out in freeing the edge if at all it is hanging up.

Here is your required information:
    • SSD-9.3mm in height having dimensions - 99.8 x 69.63 x 9.3mm
    • The release slider for the Utrabay is moving over freely but then the eject slider is not moving at all
    • The ssd is not mounted with screws.

I have tried using the knife and it had helped me out in pushing the SSD down but then the ejector is still not moving a bit as well. I asm tired of trying out tricks now and I will be sending it to the service center.