Thread: its showing 14.8GB memory space available in Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade

its showing 14.8GB memory space available in Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade

Recently I bought a new Sanddisk 16 GB Cruzer Blade pen drive. believe me till now I have not yet used this pen drive or copied anything to it but then too when I connect this pen drive to the system it shows me 14.8GB of available storage space in it. According to me and the pen drive it should have almost 16GB of free space.

Why is it so that I am not shown the actually available space; I guess I am in loss of 1.2gb. Quite confused what exactly have utilized this space. Can anyone help me out please?

re: its showing 14.8GB memory space available in Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade

Not sure that exactly is causing this issue but maybe formatting this device won’t charge you anything. So better you try to first format this pen drive and then again check out the memory storage space. Make sure that your system is free from any kind of virus infection. Reboot your machine and then insert your pen drive.

Whenever a drive is formatted they have certain spaces that are overhead, no matter whether it is a hard drive or a USB drive. There are some unused bytes between the segments and clusters and the bytes that are actually used for the file allocation table and the bytes are held in reserve to recover it from any sort of damaged bytes. I won’t be able to show you how exactly the formatted drive looks but however you can check out the same thing on internet, visit: beginningtoseethelight site.

Make sure that your system is free from any kind of virus infection. Reboot your machine and then insert your pen drive.
    I would suggest you the same better you first check your pc before blaming the USB drive for anything. Might be your machine is infected with virus and due to this virus have entered into your drive and now maybe they are eating up your memory resource.
    Better you check you system for virus with full scan check and make sure that the pc is clean before your go on to insert your drive the next time.

Once you are done with the full scan check, reboot your machine and then insert your pen drive, don’t open or explore your drive.
    • Right click on the USB drive folder
    • Select “Scan” option
    • After completion again right click on the USB drive folder
    • Select the Format option
    Once done with it you are completely free with any sort of virus infection. I won’t say that virus was the exact cause for the issue but at least you can make sure whether virus was one of the cause or not.

If asked me I would personally say that 14.8 GB for a 16GB pen drive sound to be right. If you are not aware let me tell you that not only in your case but in all the drives you are not offered with the same number which is showed to you on the label or advertisements of that drive. There are some difference between the marketing information and the actual information of the memory space. Not just in your case but in all the pen drives you will find the same scenario.

That’s a normal thing you need not have to worry first of all, secondly let me tell you that there are certain difference in windows and motherboard view. I mean to say that both your windows OS and the motherboard’s BIOS view almost all the things with their own perspective.

If you look into the BIOS you will find that your USB drive has full 16GB but when you normally check the same thing in your windows system i.e. from the normal REMOVABLE DISK option you will find a different storage space. So better you don’t worry about it.

Re: its showing 14.8GB memory space available in Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade

Yes all the things mentioned above are fact. If you really wanted a drive with whole 16GB space, you can better go for some other higher storage space available pen drive. Its quite normal, even I use to first worry a lot with this thing, but then once my friend explained me all the numbering tricks that are involved into it. There are overhead involved in making the bytes into a computer format.

Re: its showing 14.8GB memory space available in Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade

There are some difference between the marketing information and the actual information of the memory space. Not just in your case but in all the pen drives you will find the same scenario.
    I would like to elaborate this statement, everything told in this statement is right. Before go on for anything else you need to first know about memory space with respect to your system and market.
    If you notice,
    your computer shows 1GB as 1.073741824 Billion bytes
    And in terms of market 1GB equals 1.00 Billion bytes
    Therefore, 16GB from market = 16 * 1 bn bytes = 14.8 * 1.073741824 bn bytes = 14.8 GB on your system.