Thread: How to Dual boot Acer Iconia W500 with android

How to Dual boot Acer Iconia W500 with android

Currently I am thinking about buying the Acer Iconia w500 because in that I am decided to use the ZBrush. However I would like to have android OS side by side Windows 7. Do you think that it can dual boot this tablet With Android 3.1? Android is officially an open source OS and I can download it from free.

Re: How to Dual boot Acer Iconia W500 with android

Yes it is possible to dual boot this device. I made it and now it is running both windows 7 and Android 4.0.3. But I am getting a few issues regarding the video card conflict and other things, but I hope that it can be resolved soon. The first problem I noticed after dual boot is video flickers frequently, camera force closes and some high graphics apps and games won’t launch and run at all. Besides all these issue, the Android is running fine and everything is stable.

I don’t know why you want to install Android OS on this tablet since it is already running Windows 7. As far as I know that Windows 7 has the ability to run intuitive, responsive as well as business apps in anyway. While there are already bunches of software available for Windows 7, it does not make sense installing Android OS in such a high end tablet.

If you are looking for to dual boot Android With Windows 7, You have to install the EasyBCD in Windows 7. You have to create a boot entry using NeoGrub" option in EasyBCD. Say that you have installed the Android to the Windows C: drive. Then the menu menu.1st file includes an option to get rid of the ROM conflict error during boot.

The Acer Iconia W500 is developed with the intention of running Windows 7. so it has faster processor, Good memory and excellent graphics chip. I know that this has more than enough power to run android. But so far no one started a project regarding this. You will need a custom ROM to install and run Android in it.

Quote Originally Posted by CassandraD View Post
    If you are looking for to dual boot Android With Windows 7, You have to install the EasyBCD in Windows 7. You have to create a boot entry using NeoGrub" option in EasyBCD. Say that you have installed the Android to the Windows C: drive. Then the menu menu.1st file includes an option to get rid of the ROM conflict error during boot.
    I downloaded and installed EasyBCD but just can't seem to get android to install. If someone has some specific instructions on how to do this that would be great! Thanks!

I think this functionality will start to show up with Windows 8. Probably not meant for Android tablets, per se, but I'm sure the devs will manage. However, no, I'm not aware of any way to do it right now.

Edit: You can look into an app called Boot Manager, which does at least allow dual booting of different ROMs (I know some people use it on the GNex at least). Seems like that would be a jumping-off point.