Thread: Sony Vaio Z2 bricked, showing Operating System not found

Sony Vaio Z2 bricked, showing Operating System not found

After several hours of gaming I finally rebooted my Vaio Z2 but this time the system won’t boot at all. The Windows was not found on the HDD. So I tried to boot with live USB stick which has Windows7 on I and then tried the repair option from it. When it turned on, it didn’t show me any local drives apart from the USB storage. So due to this there as no other way to execute any repair functions or nor I can format the HDD in order to re-install the OS once again. What should I do now?

Re: Sony Vaio Z2 bricked, showing Operating System not found

I assume that your laptop has a RAID configuration for HDD or SSD. So I think that RAID2x config has screwed up. There is no way to fix the issue other than recreating a RAID volume and boot with the live CD or USB stick. There is no guarantee that data has been recoverable.

Yes it is true that sometimes data is impossible to get back. Also sometimes it is not possible to get back the RAID. You have to break the RAID volume, format both disks on it and reform the RAID volume. After this process only you can re-install Windows or any OS.

I want to share a possible fix for your problem without touching or losing the data on it. I hope that it will work in your case but cannot promise because it worked for me once. I assume that it is worth to give it a try:
    • First of all you need to reset both SSDs to non-member in Option ROM. It will say that data will be lost but actually not.
    • Now create a new RAID 0 array. Make sure to use the same settings which you used before for the broken array with the same drive order.
    • Now download the TestDisk and prepare a Bootdisk to run it.
    • Run TestDisk and it will help you to get all the lost data partitions. If it didn’t help, then go back and recreate array but this time with different drive order.
    • Allow the TestDisk to correct the partition table and Reboot.
    • Once it worked data could be accessible with the bootdisk and system should boot. If it does not boot, a "fixmbr" helps.

Did you try: bootrec /RebuildBcd

As far as I know that for Windows you can easily get different MBR and partition table tools which will help you to find and solve the problem if possible. At least you can recover your data from the dead array. Z owners who have RAID 0 arrays should always worry about data loss. So it is always better to keep a back up copy somewhere else.

According to Sony, the Z-series can be operated on the SSD-drives only in Raid-0-association and cannot be addressed individually. At any Z-variant, i.e., with 2, 3 or 4 SSD drives, RAID 0 is not the same as possible, so no Raid 1 or Raid 2. My final question for Sony, what with my data in case of hardware failure, I think of the failure of an SSD-happened was, quite unexpectedly answered candidly: Data is gone.

My solution is go to the BIOS setup (press F2) in the Advanced menu and activate the display of the "RAID configuration" (change from Hide to Show). Then you get the RAID configuration when booting by the Intel Option ROM displays and press Ctrl + I you can customize your RAID array. There, just delete the existing array (ensure you've recovered) And you can use both SSD (2x64GB) in the so-called JBOD (just a bunch of drives) to this mode, exactly as you like up to. This eliminates the "cons" of the RAID array, such as higher failure rate, longer startup time (blinking cursor on boot) and no TRIM support. The sequential read and write rate is somewhat faster but back in favor of the access rate.

In the end, you can configure the RAID in the BIOS menu again to hide if you want to save on boot another 2 sec. Your drive c: and d: you will have quite usual after you have Windows set up anew, and the disks are partitioned.

Intel has released a raid driver that supports the Trim command in the use of solid state disks. Previously, users who SSDs in raid had drawn not possible use trim. The new drivers have been given version number 9.6.0.1014 and support trim available in all configurations except RAID5. The drivers support nearly all recent Intel chipsets.