Thread: USB 3.0 adapter is not compatible with Sony VAIO Z1

USB 3.0 adapter is not compatible with Sony VAIO Z1

My friend gave me a USB3.0 stick. At the beginning I just used it with only USB 2.0 speed. Later I have bought the USB3.0 adapter so that I can get the data transfer speed to max but there was no luck. It was Renesas USB3.0 expresscard adapter. I have installed few different drivers but each time copying files from stick to HDD, it freezes. There is no problem with reading. I can flawlessly use the USB2.0 speed. But couldn’t able rule out with USB3.0 device

Re: USB 3.0 adapter is not compatible with Sony VAIO Z1

It seems to me that the installed drivers are not up-to-date and due to this you are experiencing incompatibility issue. An alternative to PCI Express is not known to me. The problem is the high speed of USB 3.0. Only the PCI Express slot can deliver this speed.

I really didn’t get your problem correctly. You are sure that you are using the express card adapter. As far as I know that express card can deliver utmost speed like PCIe lanes on desktop motherboard. It is a good way to add the additional peripheral to the laptop. Before buying or using make sure that ExpressCard is compatible with your laptop’s ExpressCard slot. I think that there are 2 versions (so far I know). If the slot does not support it, then there is no way you can take the full advantage of USB 3.0 speed.

The USB 3.0 ExpressCard adapter works only with ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54 slots. Each port on this card is compatible with the bus-powered devices. Some USB 3.0 adapters or cards are backwards compatible with your USB 2.0 and USB 1.1, it also supports hot plug (hot swap) device.

In theory USB 3.0 achieves a throughput of 4.8 Gb / s, or about 600 MB / s, but in practice, few devices can achieve such values. In addition, the card operates CalDigit ExpressCard/34 interface that uses a single PCI Express line whose flow cannot exceed 500 MB / s (flow line PCI Express 2.0). As we saw with the SSD, the flows seem not exceed 180 MB / s which should not significantly hamper the users of this card in real life as the current conventional hard drives fail to reach such flows.