Thread: Sony VAIO SA 512GB SSD failed

Sony VAIO SA 512GB SSD failed

I would rather tell you that do not buy Sony's SSD's. The reason is mine has failed today. It came with my Sony Vaio SA laptop. It is very disappointing but I still have warranty. So if you are going to buy SSD only to improve reliability or reduce thermal output, I would suggest look at some other brand. My laptop is only few months old. It looks like one side of the Raid 0 linked drives failed. When I looked into the BIOS, I have noticed that ports 1 and 2 were not recognized at all. Now the system won’t boot and simply give me a black screen with “Operating System Not Found".

Re: Sony VAIO SA 512GB SSD failed

Sony is not the manufacturer of SSD's. Sony laptops include HDD or SSD from Samsung and Toshiba only. Like others, there is always a possibility that stuff like these breaks sometimes without any reason or without any cause. There is no proper reason for this failure. It could be a manufacturer defect also. You have said that you are still under warranty. Then why do you need to worry about that since you will get a replacement easily without any cost. This time I would rather choose SSDs from Intel or OCZ.

If you send your laptop for replacing failed SSD, Sony will replace with the same model one which may have a lifetime of at least one year. So I suggest you to buy your own SSD, I mean one from your preferred brand. It will be cheaper and you can choose with any range. You can then configure it either by yourself or by the help of any expert.

If we ignore the Intel i7 and Nvidia GeForce GT 330M, the highlight by far of the new Sony Vaio Z is the configuration Quad SSD for storage. This system places four SSDs in RAID 0 to enable reading and writing data in all four at once. Thus, it is possible that access to the data is almost 7 times faster than traditional disk 5400 rpm. So if anything happens with RAID array, the whole array will be tragedy. I feel just about whether an installation would work on the HDD.

Aynway, did you check the SSD with other device?

If it is working properly there then I assume that fault must lie somewhere in SATA-Controller/Bios. This should be clarified!

If a storage controller is installed from Intel, you will also find no IDE / ATA Entry. Next, this means the computer is set on AHCI. If you are familiar with BIOS settings, look in the properties of the SSD. To check your system, you now have few options:
    • A BIOS reset (Clear CMOS) to manual with the built-in SSD. Then try Windows 7 DVD to install.
    • Connect the SSD to another port, if possible and try again.
    • Boot from the live CD/DVD
    • Boot the system from the Live USB stick.

The system SSD partition is also functional when the 100GB have once been closed. Other manufacturers indicate 100GB of house from the real value as well as. The values are based on an unused SSD controller with optimal and reduced over time. Therefore, the SSD is largely remedied by tools such as trim and GC (garbage collector).