Thread: Is it possible to upgrade Sony Vaio Z13 RAM to 16 GB

Is it possible to upgrade Sony Vaio Z13 RAM to 16 GB

Right now I am using the Sony Vaio Z13 laptop. This is a powerful laptop which features the PMD=power media dock. As you know that PMD offers several enhancements to the laptop like triple monitor setup. So to power up these external things you will need more power. Right now the laptop has only 8GB. So I am thinking about adding 8GB more to make it total 16GB Ram. Do you think that it is possible? Does the laptop support this amount of memory?

Re: Is it possible to upgrade Sony Vaio Z13 RAM to 16 GB

The Memory specification of Sony Vaio Z13 laptop says that it supports only up to 8GB of memory. Below are the details I found about RAM compatibility in it:
    • Memory SpecificationPC3-8500
    • Memory TypeDDR3 SDRAM
    • Memory Speed 1066 (MHz)
    • Max. Supported Memory is 8 GB

The system is fitted with the standard removable 1GB of RAM. The Sony Vaio Z memory is expandable to a maximum of 8GB of RAM. For a maximum memory, expansion slot is available. The maximum memory capacity can be reduced from the manufacturer as they may now be outdated. New storage technologies, and bios - or software versions make possible to get the same performance and stability.

I think that it is somewhat possible to upgrade the Sony Vaio Z13 to 16GB RAM since there are higher density RAM chips become available. But there might be a limitation. The limitation is nothing something like whether it is possible to upgrade 16 GB or CPU can address it, the issue is with the CPU cache. I don’t think that it can handle or work with that much RAM. It means that if you get the more RAM, you will lose the RAM access performance due to low powered CPU.

I have the Vaio VGN-A517B. I want to upgrade memory. On the Vaio upgrade site says that this model has only two slots, each with two 256 MB modules. It says only you can install max 2GB and that kind of memory is 533MHz SO DIMM. But I found somewhere else, the Memory Selector key and the Vaio VGN-A series is suggested their 1 Gb modules at 667MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Echa View Post
    I have the Vaio VGN-A517B. I want to upgrade memory. On the Vaio upgrade site says that this model has only two slots, each with two 256 MB modules. It says only you can install max 2GB and that kind of memory is 533MHz SO DIMM. But I found somewhere else, the Memory Selector key and the Vaio VGN-A series is suggested their 1 Gb modules at 667MHz.
    You might have heard that some RAMs are "backward-compatible" with one or more generation. Without looking at your computer specs it seems to me that your computer running at 533MHz, so the 667 MHz faster throttle at that speed. It is good that you used the key configurator ... their memory is guaranteed to work and their support is top notch. Read more about your existing memory with Everest Free Edition, it's free.

It is not a problem with upgrade the Sony Vaio Z13 RAM to 16GB. But before that one thing you must check is, your motherboard memory controller support or handle 16GB memory. If the memory controller or bus is not compatible to handle, then there is no use at all. Sometimes this compatibility issue can be solved by the BIOS update. Next thing is about the OS. If you are using 4GB or more RAM, you should install a Windows x64 OS. Linux can handle anything.

I have installed the 12GB RAM on my laptop and then I tried to test the RAM for errors and compatibility issues using Memtest. Unfortunately, the Memtest crashes with 12GB. Thus Intel page suggest me that the memory controller on the Core-i series processor is not capable to address the higher amount of RAM properly. It might need a latest version of BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer to address the issue. However the memtest runs fine with 8GB limit and it did not throw errors and crashes. So I think that 8GB memory is safe for productive operation.