Thread: How to upgrade Blackberry 9900 firmware without BES Activation

How to upgrade Blackberry 9900 firmware without BES Activation

Beforehand I was using the BlackBerry 8310. Now I have a new 9900 as an exception. It really feels good to get this brand new piece from Blackberry. At my work I have to use Microsoft BPOS with BES. So I would like to know whether it is possible to download/install the latest firmware or beta firmware without BES activation. I am really looking forward to get the BB OS 7.1.

Re: How to upgrade Blackberry 9900 firmware without BES Activation

I don’t think that there is any way to upgrade the firmware without touching the BES activation. The BES is the significant feature of BB and it needs to be activated during the every upgrade. Anyway, you could try contacting with BES Admin and/or IT staff before the upgrade. If they allow you to do it, then it fine. This is really important if you are providing the device along with all the bills. Some firms doesn’t allow this.

I think that it is somewhat possible to upgrade the firmware without BES activation. For that you have to make sure that your system is not connected to the corporate network while doing the firmware upgrade. Otherwise it will automatically go back on the BES. Actually I am doing this from my Home by opening VPN connection, open DM and connect BB to get the activation again. If you are performing the firmware update properly on the BlackBerry Manager, you can use the device immediately after the start of activation to return to the user.

I can still remember how my 9500 was because I had the update to 4.6 4.7 also drawn directly from the internal "update tool".

If the provider would use this function, it a would imagine many BB users would have remained faithful.

However, since these had either no idea if I have to get a new firmware or were simply too stupid to install it via the DM.

The web update has nothing to do with the BES itself, which can be carried out normally. It "may," if things get released, do a WebUpdate via BES / carrier, but it will still take some time.

Via the BlackBerry admin to each user can simply send you a new password via email. He can then make "Enterprise Activation" activation from the menu item.

The user is dialed into the corporate VPN and the corporate LAN, closes his BB via USB cable to his computer, starts the DM and the Activation can run automatically.

One of the known limitations for BES Express and 'the inability' to be able to activate wirelessly - via the mobile network - who has a BlackBerry smartphone on BlackBerry Prosumer SIM card services (or BIS, BlackBerry Internet Service). Only solution 'to activate via USB cable where we open the administration console BlackBerry Administration Service (BAS) or the Web Desktop Manager. The limitation is that, when you enter a phone card with active service only BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), lacks the "Activation Company" in the Advanced Options menu of the BlackBerry handheld.

The issue is: According to the support of O2, RIM has taken with newer firmware versions for the use of restrictive measures to prevent BES. In firmware version 4.6.x that works that is still, even if you have booked NO corresponding package.