Thread: Dell Inspiron 620 laptop unable to detect WiFi server

Dell Inspiron 620 laptop unable to detect WiFi server

I have been noticing something unusual in my Dell Inspiron 620. It’s a brand new laptop bought last Friday. Till now I have not yet installed anything in my system, its completely fresh and empty.

I cannot find even a single wifi server showing up in my wifi network list. Earlier when I bought this laptop and at that time when I checked my machine I found some 6 wifi devices that were detected. But now I couldn’t find any of them. I am myself using a Belking wireless router which is working fine. I made sure that those devices still exist at my area but still my laptop is unable to detect it. Why is it so, and would be the suitable fix for this issue.

Re: Dell Inspiron 620 laptop unable to detect WiFi server

I too had a Belkin wireless router, but the issue was with another member while using WPA Security. The router was unable to determine between WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security and WPA-AES. But the issue was sorted out having No security.
    Just try to user your network with No Security or WEP security. And if possible also let me know what antivirus you have installed in you machine.

Try out the follow trick and let me know what change you see:
    1. Go to Start
    2. Control Panel
    3. Networking and sharing center
    4. Click on network connections
    5. Then properties
    6. Check out for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6
    7. Over there Click on properties and now make the necessary setting matching your account

Let me tell you that I have already set my system in such a way that it automatically picks up the IP so therefore I need not have to worry about it. But then too just for a safer side I cross checked the it and its still the same with no such difference.

Also I have checked the tcp/ip settings which was again perfectly alright. No just this also I did lot of R&Ds with my router from changing from wep to WPA, changing from 2.5 GHZ broadcast to 5 and many more but ultimately everything landed up at the same point with no wifi connection being established.

Again let me make it clear that my Dell laptop not just fails to find my Belkin wireless router but also it is unable to detect other neighbor’s wifi connection too. In short there are no wireless servers that are appeared on my phone.

I can understand what exactly you are trying to point out; you must be concluding that this Dell Inspiron 620 has some problem and not the router.

Even I would conclude the same thing; I too have the same laptop facing the exact same issue. Tried out almost all the possible solution but nothing worked until now. Once even tried to reinstall the OS which did a better job but didn’t completely resolve the issue. I am currently running windows 7 64 bit on my machine and having McAffee installed in it.

No doubt this issue has something to do with either virus or your firewall. Listen try out the following suggestion and let me know the result after you perform it:
    • Turn off the firewall and try to connect or scan your machine for routers; let me know whether you can find any wifi server now
    • Complete reinstall your OS i.e. Windows 7 64 bit, as I suspect there might be some virus issue

You need not have to bother so much simply try to uninstall the antivirus which you are running i.e. Mcafee. The same thing did work in my machine. Yeah my machine was unable to detect any wifi enabled server, this issue was faced by me for 6 long months and I was shamefully unable to detect the main cause of the problem but then once simply experimenting with the machine I uninstalled the antivirus. Later on when I tried to scan for the wifi server the machine actually detected 10 servers at once.

The reason was simple; the firewall was somehow trying to block the external server being detected by the machine. I knew about this thing from the starting onward but however I was unable to disable the firewall so therefore ultimately uninstalled the antivirus.

I however managed to remove mcaffee from my system but unfortunately that didn’t change anything. Not just this after listening all the suggestion I also tried to turn off all the other firewalls which again didn’t change anything.

Without knowing that I do not have a windows disc I simply uninstalled windows. But then I just used the Dell Factory image restore in windows 7.

I guess since the factory settings was not having the wireless card functioning, there were no proper changes taken place with the wireless card. But everything failed at the end moment. Better this time I would try out the windows restore disc through one of the windows 7 system . and also I would try to reformate the hard drive and then reinstall everything. Hope it would work.