Thread: Linksys e3000 router overheating a lot

Linksys e3000 router overheating a lot

It’s a brand new router which I bought few days ago. I got this Linksys e3000 router from ebay along with the computer system, everything worked well for some 1 month but now the system is still working fine without any issue where as the router seems to be causing some sort of heating issue. Whenever I switch on this router it works fine but then after few hours I found that this router get overheated exceeding the normal heat temperature.

First I thought that it was a normal behavior but then after bit of research found that it’s not normal in fact it’s something very much unusual. Please help me out with this problem?

Re: Linksys e3000 router overheating a lot

I can surely help you out with this issue, I don’t share the same router but I did have the same problem in my router also. I bought a new cooling pad from walmart, if you are not aware let me tell you that this cooling pad come with a fan in the center of this pad. I was supposed to hot glue the router dead center of the pad and then used the power source from my xbox 360.

As I have already did number of times I didn’t had any issue while performing this activity and therefore everything was done successfully and also the heating issue went off. Now my router always stays cool no matter for how many hours I run it. Even you can try this trick, get a cooling pad from walmart.

Yeah that’s a great idea, you can probably go for a walmart cooling pad, it literally does cools down any device. Specifically if asked me I would suggest you Belkin F5L001 cooling Pad. This pad is actually meant for laptops but that’s not an issue, you can however place your router or any small device on this cooling pad in order to avoid heating. The most interesting feature of this cooling pad is that it is actually designed with wave patterned design so that the device could be properly placed above it. This pad works only when you plug it into a USB port, it doesn’t require any heavy power adapter.

You can simply get this pad or you can say order it online from walmart, if ordered online it would cost you around $17.88. they directly ship the device or the product at your place you just have to order it that’s all.

I can surely help you out with this issue, I don’t share the same router but I did have the same problem in my router also. I bought a new cooling pad from walmart, if you are not aware let me tell you that this cooling pad come with a fan in the center of this pad. I was supposed to hot glue the router dead center of the pad and then used the power source from my xbox 360.
    I would personally never suggest anyone with such solution. Let me clear one thing that whenever any product or device is not working its obvious that it’s the manufacturer or the vendor’s fault which is very much necessary to be addressed and sort out instead of ignoring the issue and finding out some other alternate external source as a solution.

If the product is properly made and tested then surely it should never have any overheating issue at the time of its earlier stages unless and until you mal-function it.

I do agree with you, surely if a product is facing any kind of unusual behavior or not working well at the early time when I bought it then definitely the only thing first come to my mind will be to get it either replaced or return or repaired if possible from the care center. When the product is bought it undoubtedly comes with a warranty then why not we use this warranty advantage and get things properly place officially so that even if we face any issue in future we have at least someone to be blamed instead of messing up things by our own self.

If my product is overheating then definitely it will be returned to and I will purchase a new brand.

May I know whether this heating issue is having any impact on other thing and giving you any negative result like shutting down or internet connection disconnected or anything? I too had the same issue of overheating which use to directly result in dropping of internet connection of both wired and wireless.

But later on I tried out the following thing:
    Pulled down the desk on which I placed the router at about 5cm from the wall, and then placed the router facing against the wall at 45 degree angle and after the placement I placed a heavy object in front of the router just to keep it from moving.

I would personally never suggest anyone with such solution. Let me clear one thing that whenever any product or device is not working its obvious that it’s the manufacturer or the vendor’s fault which is very much necessary to be addressed and sort out instead of ignoring the issue and finding out some other alternate external source as a solution.
    I too agree with your statement but certainly the e3000 users are forced to try out other alternate solution just because they are neither explained about the main cause of the issue nor they are suggested with any solution by the care center people.
    I did had the same issue struggled a lot for getting a proper solution, I use to keep on calling the care center regarding this issue hoping that they will provide me with a proper solution at least once but they always kept on telling me that they are working around with this issue.

I had cisco valet some 2 years ago which showed me the overheating problem, I returned it and then a new model of Lynksis E3000 but then I noticed the same issue withn the first week of its purchase. However I simply turned this router in such a way that the router’s bottom was facing up allowing the warm air to escape and its top was facing downward.

I do not thing that the Lynksys router should every cause any such heating issue as they are built in such a way that the heat could never accumulate or stay inside it. I heard that this routers comes up with a better cooling design. Even if the heat rises the bottom of the router has number of openings and lots of ventilation to eliminate the heat whereas the top has only two vents on the side. May be the user has to use big of common sense and physics in order to avoid overheating.