Thread: Windows 8 on a Samsung galaxy Note I717?

Windows 8 on a Samsung galaxy Note I717?

I was just wondering how good it would be to have the windows 8 on this phone? Don’t you all think it should have it. I was just wondering if it was possible to dual both the phone with windows 8 and android. I am fascinated with the windows 8 metro apps in the phone and hence I would like to have it in the phone. I was just thinking by keeping the windows 8 on the sd card and android on the internal storage. Well it is easy to write down all the ideas but it is practically looking impossible as of now. Since dual booting windows and android would be a very difficult thing I must say that.

Anyways if there are any developers out here then can you all tell me if it is possible to do that or not? I am waiting for the replies. Guys.

Re: Windows 8 on a Samsung galaxy Note I717?

Definitely not impossible since windows runs on arm now but don’t know if it will work with the arm 7. Yes it will definitely take some time for that. If galaxy note gets windows 8 or not but it is sure that it will get ubuntu in it.

Nice to know that windows 8 is arm enabled. However the big question rises whether it can be used by any end user or not. I am just thinking how will the applications work with the android applications. Windows 8 availability would be restricted to commercial users only and also it would be licensed so getting it from elsewhere is a big question to be asked. Lets hope if someone or the other gets the leaked windows 8 ARM. So that the developers can begin with the experimentation for the phone. that’s what I want to say here. I hope that’s clear for you all.

I don’t think so it will happens since windows 8 is a closed platform and unlike android which is a open source we cant do much experimentation's with it. obtaining the source code of windows 8 would be risky and also is illegal. So that’s why I don’t think so many people would go ahead with the idea of experimenting the windows 8 in the galaxy note. So I don’t think so it will happen at all.

Ok but whats the harm in giving a try with the developer preview of the windows 8 or the consumer preview of the windows 8? What do you all think isn’t it possible to dual boot with them? Just a frank question from my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Prem-Din View Post
    Ok but whats the harm in giving a try with the developer preview of the windows 8 or the consumer preview of the windows 8? What do you all think isn’t it possible to dual boot with them? Just a frank question from my side.
    Dude it won’t. Well it requires a special hardware to boot windows 8. Windows 8 requires a UEFI secure boot to load on any ARM tablet. Also the Microsoft people have made it mandatory that device already loaded with windows 8 cannot be dual booted with any of the other operating system at all. That’s what I got to know recently. Installing the windows 8 is not a simple task you know, it requires ROM build by OEMs. So be it the developer preview or the consumer preview installing requires the above necessary things. I hope you did got what I am trying to say here.

So leave behind the topic of dual booting any tablet with windows 8 and android, that’s not possible.

In one of the blogs recently released by the Microsoft I read that WOA (Windows on ARM) won’t be supporting x86[-64] programs, nor are they going to support them in running such programs. WOA won’t be distributed as a standalone software, the only goal for the WOA devices would be products which have the hardware support, firmware support and last but not the least Windows on ARM software. The source code of WOA won’t be released and hence porting it to the galaxy note looks to me as a impossible task for sure.

Really disappointing to hear about that. I was expecting that Microsoft would be coming up with some open end OS but they aren’t. anyways I will try with the dual booting ubuntu with android. I hope that will not be a problem at all.