Thread: Upgrading old Dell inspiron 2200 Notebook

Upgrading old Dell inspiron 2200 Notebook

I am using an old laptop and that is Dell inspiron 2200. I think it is almost seven year old. It now has Intel celeron M 1.4 GHZ and 40gb HDD. It runs very slow. So I am thinking about getting more ram and install Windows 7. What would you think? Would be decent for internet usage and some other stuff?

Re: Upgrading old Dell inspiron 2200 Notebook

The new Inspiron 2200 offers excellent price / performance that enable small businesses to enjoy all the advantages of a mobile solution at even lower prices. Power users can now enjoy all the benefits of using a laptop, without sacrificing productivity during any movement. In order to run Windows 7, you will need at least 2GB RAM for your laptop. However you can get it work with 1GB RAM but Notebook might run very slowly.

Dell is very good brand, the 2nd manufacturer worldwide, but with some defects in the service, if you buy online, directly from Dell, the price is usually more expensive than the same computer on retailers. Dell laptop in promoting free upgrade to Windows 7. After this activation, and did prove possible to register the laptop via the Internet successfully for at the time free upgrade to Windows 7.

I don’t think that you can upgrade CPU in this notebook but if you have an extra slot for RAM, you can install some more GB of RAM but I don’t know how much RAM your motherboard could hold. You need to check about it in the manual. As for Windows 7 update some manufacturers do not charge anything, another just a small postage. This is a fairly comprehensive list of manufacturers' web sites where you will find the instructions to upgrade.

Windows 7 loads faster than Vista and consumes fewer resources. It uses battery in a better way so as the energy and the battery lasts about 15% compared to Vista. For that reason I installed Windows 7 update on my old Dell laptop. First I saw few issues with the graphics card due to screen flickering when moving windows. Because Windows 7 uses a default beta drivers which do not work well, So i have got the new drivers from the Intel site for the video card Intel 965 Express, once installed and problem solved. Another drawback was microphone due to default drivers not detected. Same issue happened with the touchpad scrolling also.