Thread: HP Pavilion g7 notebook works with power adapter but wont charge the battery

HP Pavilion g7 notebook works with power adapter but wont charge the battery

Whenever I keep my pavilion g7 notebook on charge for hours, it won’t charge at all. I have noticed that the system shows the power adapter attached symbol on the battery but still it won’t charge.

Initially I doubted the that power adapter must not be detecting properly and the system must be showing the symbol just for sake but then the interesting thing I noticed was that after connecting the power adapter the system works with it. The only thing is that it won’t charge the battery. Please help me out.

Re: HP Pavilion g7 notebook works with power adapter but wont charge the battery

The most basic and the most common solution for such issue is:
    • Turn off the notebook
    • unplug the AC Adapter
    • remove the battery
    • hold down the Power button for few seconds
    • plug in the AC Adapter without inserting the battery

once your system runs properly then try inserting the battery and then check whether this time your batter is getting charged or not. To check it you need to first keep the system as it is for at least 1 hour and then later on just unplug the power adapter and now check whether the system is running without the power adapter.

Re: HP Pavilion g7 notebook works with power adapter but wont charge the battery

Initially I doubted the that power adapter must not be detecting properly and the system must be showing the symbol just for sake but then the interesting thing I noticed was that after connecting the power adapter the system works with it. The only thing is that it wont charge the battery. Please help me out.
    Hey if you system is working properly with the power adapter and also if the power adapter is detected by the machine properly then definitely the issue must be with the battery.
    I personally think that you battery is defected. You must replace the battery of your notebook with some other battery which is in a working condition.

Better you first run the HP battery check, it’s a standalone battery test utility. Once you perform this test, in the resulting report you could easily find out the issues and problems if any. HP battery check This is one of the smart Battery Technology which is now available in the latest HP products: HP Battery Check
    Please let me know the reports if possible.

Yeah I do agree with that option, if you are a HP customer and if you are facing any issue related to the battery then you strictly recommended to first do a HP battery check.
    You just have to go to:
    • Start
    • HP Support Assistant
    • Click Troubleshoot
    • Click the Power, Thermal and Mechanical button
    • From Power tab
    • Click HP Battery Check

Give it a try:
    Turn off the notebook >unplug the AC Adapter > remove the battery > hold down the Power button for few seconds > plug in the AC Adapter without inserting the battery.

Your note will start with no problem, now after starting:
    • Go to Control Panel
    • Device Manager
    • Expand the entry for Batteries
    • Right click on Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery
    • Select Uninstall
    • Now, shut down
    • Unplug the AC Adapter
    • Reinsert the battery
    • Start the PC only with battery
    The drivers will automatically be reinstalled, so that’s not an issue. After the installation shut down and then turn on as you normally do, hope this will work.

Hey even I am having the exact same issue, and I tried exactly what you said. You know after trying out your solution everything worked fine with the battery. Also the battery icon was showing that the battery is charging but it stayed only for few minutes. After a while the charging stopped and the battery icon showed that “Power plugged in, not charging”. Tried the same solution again and again but result is the same.

Yeah I do agree with that option, if you are a HP customer and if you are facing any issue related to the battery then you strictly recommended to first do a HP battery check.
    Also did the HP battery checked. It showed OK (10). I am not sure what exactly this 10 means but although I didn’t get any such error in the reports.

Start
    HP Support Assistant
    Click Troubleshoot
    Click the Power, Thermal and Mechanical button
    From Power tab
    Click HP Battery Check
    I am sorry to say this but I am still facing the problem with the battery check. As suggested above I downloaded the HP battery Check utility from the given link but then when I tried your steps I am unable to reach over to the destination i.e. HP Battery Check. The problem is that I am getting the entire above path, I mean except for START I cant get anything, why is it so? What should I do now?

You need not have to worry, if you are not getting that option that’s not a problem. Must be you don’t have HP Support Assistant, people using HP Support Assistant could probably follow those steps.
    But that doesn’t mean that you won’t be getting the Battery check utility in your system. If you are not using a HP Support Assistant then probably you could follow the below steps:

• Click Start
    • Click All Programs
    • Click on the HP Folder
    • Then click HP Battery Check