Thread: Can I run TomTom Home on Linux?

Can I run TomTom Home on Linux?

just purchased TomTom Rider 2. It is particularly designed for motorcycle and it is based on Linux. However TomTom Home is not support for Linux. If you are in support of development of the Linux version of TomTom home then let me know about the same. any useful comment would be appreciated.

Re: Can I run TomTom Home on Linux?

TomTom Home is running fine under Wine but I cannot use on TomTom XL. Even it is not having support for USB. Hence I need to run Windows XP in the Virtual machine under of the VirtualBox in order to update the TomTom. So there is highly need of native Linux version of Home.

According to me running VirtualBox is not having a solution. It gives you a way to run Windows on the virtual Machine. I really don’t wanted to run Windows on my computer. TomTom is running on Linux Kernel so it is totally TomTom’s Choice to install map on Linux. I think they should develop some kind of cross-platform skills so that they can create necessary tools to get the requirement of us.

I purchased TomTom GO in the year 2007 and updated with XL in 2010. Couple of times I have used TomTom HOME and at my home using Linux only. I was bit disappointed as TomTom were not able to port a Java application to Linux where they are manufacturing the device which can run exclusively on Linux. I am not going to purchase any device until and unless they are not going to provide Linux support. I hope the developer will look on the same as early as possible.

As far as I know TomTom have fully complied the application with TomTom Home Support Application. They have developed the program in C++ and in order to read the program code there should be components of C++ available on the system. those components are installed on the computers. A program could close as it is out of the invisible code.

I don’t think so they would not provide support for Linux as they supposed to loose the further purchase.

Well I purchased TomTom because it is using Linux. However it is really disappointing that it requires Windows to run. If they will not take any particular action then I am going to use Android device.