Thread: HP 8740w turns off automatically after installing 4 memory chips

HP 8740w turns off automatically after installing 4 memory chips

I bought a brand new HP 8740w with windows 7 64bit running on it. I would let you know that this system has four memory slots present in it, from which 2 memory slots already has 1GB memory sticks present in memory slot 1 and 2.

For my convenience I added two more 1GB memory sticks in the other two memory slots 3 and 4 as per the system’s capability but now the laptop seems to be showing some issue. It shows sudden shut down at certain interval of time. What should I do to prevent my system from getting turned off automatically with having these four Ram installed in it.

Re: HP 8740w turns off automatically after installing 4 memory chips

Yeah I know about this issue, let me tell you once if you remove the two memory sticks which you fixed later your system will definitely come to its normal condition and it will not shut down automatically. Is this the issue only with the 3rd and 4th slot of the memory? I mean if you remove the memory stick installed in the slot 1 and 2 keeping the slot and 4 installed with the memory stick, does that shows the same issue or else the system stays normal. If its normal then definitely the issue is only with the other two memory slots i.e. memory slot 3 and 4. And if not then definitely it could be the heat issue due to the excess of the memory utilization which is somehow making the process and the system heat up. Try to check out various other combinations with the memory sticks and the slots to see where exactly the issue lies.

Yeah I know about this issue, let me tell you once if you remove the two memory sticks which you fixed later your system will definitely come to its normal condition and it will not shut down automatically. Is this the issue only with the 3rd and 4th slot of the memory? I mean if you remove the memory stick installed in the slot 1 and 2 keeping the slot and 4 installed with the memory stick, does that shows the same issue or else the system stays normal. If its normal then definitely the issue is only with the other two memory slots i.e. memory slot 3 and 4. And if not then definitely it could be the heat issue due to the excess of the memory utilization which is somehow making the process and the system heat up. Try to check out various other combinations with the memory sticks and the slots to see where exactly the issue lies.
    Yes you are right there is something wrong with the slot 3 and 4. After facing this issue I bought two new 2 GB sticks and then installed them in slot 1 and 2 removing the existing 1GB Ram and then left the other two slots 3 and 4 empty, guess what the issue went away. For your kind information let me tell you that I have already tried both Kingston memory and HP memory and also I am using proper chips for this 8740w model.

Any extra memory added in the other two slots results in shutting down of the system no matter how much longer the system runs, after a point it has to turn off automatically.

For my convenience I added two more 1GB memory sticks in the other two memory slots 3 and 4 as per the system’s capability but now the laptop seems to be showing some issue. It shows sudden shut down at certain interval of time. What should I do to prevent my system from getting turned off automatically with having these four Ram installed in it.
    I don’t know what exactly is wrong with your system nor do I have any appropriate solution for your issue but I can surely give you an idea of getting rid of this issue without having sacrifice or decreasing your Ram size. You are however trying to install all in all 4GB of memory into your system which is somehow creating issue due to the 3rd and 4th installation. Then you don’t you better install 2 memory stick of 2GB each in your 1st and 2nd slots and enjoy accessing the laptop without even facing any issue. Also you will be satisfied with the memory and also there will be no such issue.

Even I agree with you, it could be the heat issue definitely. Once even I had the same issue, I was trying to install the maximum memory on to my system having all the slots fully installed which didn’t create any issue until I over used my machine. But after when I encountered the issue for at least 5 to 6 times I suddenly took the model to the care center and then came up with the cause of the issue, they said that removing the extra Ram installed by me should solve the issue.

This is because due the extra memory sticks the fan is unable to handle all the heat from the memories.

This is because due the extra memory sticks the fan is unable to handle all the heat from the memories.
    I do agree with you, I have noticed many times, after having all my memory slots full whenever I access my pc at some point of time I can hear the fan reversing and slowing down or kicking in. and just after this suddenly change I can guess out that the system is going to get shut down and the same thing happens as according to my guess. It happens to me almost all the time whenever I overuse the computer.

For your kind information as far as I am concerned I know that if you remove the stock sticks from the slot 1 and 2 and then on the same slots when you fix with two new sticks keeping the other two slots 3 and 4 empty makes the system run properly but then when you add the same stock sticks in the other two slots causes the same issue.

This might be some problem with the BIOS. I also doubt that there might be some hardware issue most probably there could be wrong assembly/flash.

And also for your information let me tell you that 4 slots of Ram can only work with quad core CPUs. If you have got a dual core 520M/620M you can definitely not be able to use the other two 3rd and 4th, in fact they should not even be existing physicall on themotherboard.

May I know your system configuration or even if you let me know which graphic card is installed in you system, that’s fine. Actually I would like to tell you that according to me I personally feel that the only situation which can probably cause the power related issue is if you have the FX3800M. it is 100W card with 45W CPU and the rest of the system could hit approximately 50W together making the 200WPSU to struggle.

Till now I can only say that the issue is either due to the bad BIOS flash or due to some problem with the motherboard itself.