Thread: Compaq CQ56 black screen and only caps lock light blinks

Compaq CQ56 black screen and only caps lock light blinks

My Compaq CQ56 never created any issue from the time I have bought it. But two days ago when I was browsing my laptop suddenly don’t know why the system got freeze, believing that it could be due to some minor issue I just turned off the machine directly. But then later on when I restarted the system it started up with a blank screen and then it continued. Not just the blank screen but also the caps lock light on the keyboard was continuously blinking.

Nothing is fine after I start the system, tried most of the thing but can’t see anything, I am sure that the system is on and working. Can anyone help me out?

Re: Compaq CQ56 black screen and only caps lock light blinks

I am not sure but most of the time this trick works whenever the system shows the above unusual symptoms, especially the blank screen issue. Just try out the following thing, hope so it will work.

• Shutdown the system
    • Remove the AC adapter
    • Remove the battery
    • Hold down the power button for few seconds
    • Insert the AC adapter
    • See whether the laptop starts or not

Same issue with same symptoms, but my problem started off suddenly once when I was trying to start up the machine. Whenever I start the system I can see the orange start up screen but then it only show the starting windows and then everything is as usual blank.

I also tried to access the BIOS on the occasional successful orange screen but it failed and again showed the blank screen. I also tried the above step which somehow helped me a bit, it helped boot the system but that too worked only till the starting windows screen after that the same thing.

I have also tried to reset the Ram and other internal elements.

I can help you out with the exact solution but I can somehow help you in letting know about the exact cause or maybe also it can take you an appropriate solution.

The first thing you need to do is to shutdown the system if it’s on, as soon as then now start the laptop tap the F10 button. I hope you can now enter the BIOS menu. Now under the Advanced and Diagnostic tab you should most probably be able to find the capability to run the test on both the hard drive and the Memory. Make sure that this test runs and if does so then please try to post back the details and the log information and also the error message you encounter. This information is for sure going to help you know the main cause of the issue.

Light blinking on either of the power button or the caps lock maybe due to the internal hardware issue, I mean the Ram. If you have 2 Ram module installed in your system then make sure that you remove one of them and then try to reboot the machine.

Having just 1 Ram installed in the machine has to do a bit different thing, you just have to remove the Ram from the existing slot and then fix it in the other available slot and if that didn’t help you then repeat the process with the other module. Make sure that you try out all the possible combination and try to check whether any of them makes any difference.

The blinking of the Led lights present on the power button and the other parts of the keyboard on the new system or the beep tones on the old machine is undoubtedly an issue with any of the hardware component of the machine. This thing occurs due to the improper response of the hardware components.

And also would like to tell you that the blink and the beep codes for each of the models differs and also the users cannot change any of the blink and beep codes.

And also would like to tell you that the blink and the beep codes for each of the models differs and also the users cannot change any of the blink and beep codes.
    The blink codes are most of the time displayed only after the user tries to add extra memory to the system but it does not held or placed the module properly. Just because the system was dropped the Led may also blink error codes if any of the hardware components is loosely connected. There are some of the HP notebook PCs that comes with one stick of Ram but most probably have two slots. The issue could be undoubtedly the bad connection between the stick of the memory and one of the slots of that memory.

The solution for this issue is very much simple and clear. If your memory moudel is possibly not making a good contact with the memory slots and if the computer is unable to recognize all of the memory, definitely resetting the memory module may undoubtedly resolve the memory failure errors. The memory module compartments on almost all the notebooks is located on the bottom of the case and in some of them its under the keyboard.

You need to just follow the below steps to remove and reset the memory modules:
    Remove the electrical power:-
    • Turn off the computer by pressing and holding down the Power button for about 30 seconds
    • Unplug the AC adaptor from the notebook
    • Slide and hold the battery release latch to the unlock position
    • Use your finger to lift the battery up and out

Remove the Memory module:-
    • Remove the memory module cover
    • Remove the memory modules from the memory slots
    • Reseat the memory module by holding module at a 45-degree angle
    • After reseating the memory module, replace the cover over the memory compartment