Thread: Total RAM usage in AMILO Notebook Pa 3553

Total RAM usage in AMILO Notebook Pa 3553

Currently I am using the AMILO Notebook Pa 3553. I have got this few months ago. When I first bought this, I didn’t go to take a look inside the hardware peripherals and system monitoring. I simply started using it. Yesterday I have noticed that Resource Monitor showing the Total memory as 2814mb but the manual says that 3072mb. One stranger thing I have noticed that 258mb of memory is "Hardware reserved". Does anyone know what it is actually? Why this memory is divided like that?

Re: Total RAM usage in AMILO Notebook Pa 3553

This is normal. When you buy a laptop which has 3GB RAM, you will get only 2GB as useable. Even if you install or upgrade to 4GB, you may only get little more than 2GB. There is no workaround for this. However the additional 258mb memory "Hardware reserved" is actually use by onboard graphics on your laptop. This is really ridiculous. There is no way you can select the graphics memory from the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by $Iain$ View Post
    Currently I am using the AMILO Notebook Pa 3553. I have got this few months ago. When I first bought this, I didn’t go to take a look inside the hardware peripherals and system monitoring. I simply started using it. Yesterday I have noticed that Resource Monitor showing the Total memory as 2814mb but the manual says that 3072mb. One stranger thing I have noticed that 258mb of memory is "Hardware reserved". Does anyone know what it is actually? Why this memory is divided like that?
    You are really lucky to say that your laptop only uses 256MB of RAM for graphics. Even if you upgrade to 4GB, this may double up. In my case I have 3GB installed and getting only 2.2GB and when 4GB installed getting only 2.5GB free under Windows 7 64bit. There is no benefit of upgrade now. It is really weird to see that why 256MB memory used by Graphics.

AS far as I know that the Shared graphics memory might changed depending on system configuration and the version of Windows or any OS you are running. The system information software shows the actual amount of memory used by Graphics. The actual used video memory size is completely depends on the Microsoft Windows memory management. This might serve like this:
    • 1GB of RAM enables up to 384 MB static and shared memory
    • 2G B of RAM uses up to 896 MB static and shared memory
    • 3GB of RAM takes up to 1408 MB static and shared memory
    • 4GB of memory enables up to 1920 MB static and shared memory

Few days I got Windows 7 64-bit and expand to 8 GB of RAM to have good performance in complex applications (video editing, graphic design, etc.). The reason is that with 32-bit and 3 GB of installed RAM (not recognition), only the 500 MB left me free, so you can imagine the ranting'' plundering'' when trying to make a render or work with heavy images. My conclusions were that the operating system itself is eaten all these resources and strip cache for other applications. Now with Windows 7 64-bit I spend more or less the same, although the proportion is somewhat lower.

It is concluded in their research that 86% of PCs with Windows 7 contribute 90% of the RAM to the operating system, compared to 50% that consumes XP. Of these, only activated with the basic processes of the system, the data revealed saturation points that require resources to use virtual memory. Another conclusion drawn from the study is that Windows 7 makes greater use of processor load than Windows XP.

The reduction in memory available system depends on the configuration of the following:
    • Devices installed on the computer and the memory that is reserved for those devices
    • The ability to control the motherboard memory
    • The system BIOS version and configuration
    • The version of Windows 7 is installed
    • Other system configurations