Thread: How to unlock and relock bootloader in Sony Xperia S

How to unlock and relock bootloader in Sony Xperia S

I got myself a new Sony Xperia S. I know it has inbuilt operating system of Android 2.3 gingerbread. But being a android developer myself, my job requires me to test android applications. So I wanted to install android 2.2 as 2nd O.S. Can anyone help me unlock and relock bootloader in Sony Xperia S?

re: How to unlock and relock bootloader in Sony Xperia S

You must first confirm that if it is possible to unlock the bootloader of your phone. To know if unlocking bootloader is possible open dialer of your phone and dial *#*#7378423#*#* to access service menu. In service menu, go in service info. In service info, get into configuration and from there in Rooting status. If bootloader unlocking allowed status says ‘Yes’, then unlocking bootloader is possible. If it says, ‘No’ then it is not possible.

Before you do anything with bootloader, you must have certain data about your phone ready. You must know the IMEI number of your phone. You must have fastboot package with usb drives. You can search it on Google for download. You have to have a PC with Windows OS installed on it. The PC and the phone should be able to be connected using USB cable.

To start unlocking bootloader, power down your phone and hold the volume up button, this will trigger FASTBOOT mode. Then connect it to PC using USB cable. At the bottom you will find ‘Start unlocking bootloader’. You will be prompted to accept legal terms and conditions. Now you will be on ‘Create unlock page’ where you will have to input your IMEI number, name & e-mail address. After this you will receive a unique serial key. Now open the command prompt in the windows. In cmd window type, fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version. If it returns value as 0.5, then it is good to proceed. Now type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and then enter the received unique key. Now your phone will be ready for bootloading.

Download Xperia-S_Relock_bootloader.ftf attached below. Flash this file via FlashTool. When it says Flash mode, power down your phone and hold volume down button. After the file is flashed, restart your phone. Now your bootloader will again be relocked.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In the process of unlocking bootloader, the phone might get overheated. This might result in damage of hardware which might harm your phone to non-repairable extent. The performance may decrease than it was before unlocking bootloader. The warranty on phone provided by Sony will become void as the user has opened and tampered with the original contents of the phone. Chances of certain functions getting ceased increase.

It is currently not possible to unlock CDMA phones made by Sony. Many customers who have successfully unlocked the bootloader were not able to download data over the air. If you have unlocked the bootloader than I suggest that you don’t download any upgrades over the air, that is FOTA - Firmware upgrade Over The Air.

After unlocking the bootloader, some content that is pre-installed or manually installed may not be accessible or efficiently functioning. This might be caused due to removal of DRM security code and the change in partition of memory space provided by manufacturer. This bootloader unlocking process will erase all your data, settings and accounts. Make backup of as much data possible. Sony doesn’t take any responsibility of harm caused to phone during this process, so I recommend that you don’t do it unless you have good experience in this field.

Re: How to unlock and relock bootloader in Sony Xperia S

Quote Originally Posted by Gaganvihari View Post
    Download Xperia-S_Relock_bootloader.ftf attached below. Flash this file via FlashTool. When it says Flash mode, power down your phone and hold volume down button. After the file is flashed, restart your phone. Now your bootloader will again be relocked.
    Work well!!
    My data still same as previous no any data lost.
    I can perform Software upgrade via SonyPC Companion without any denied message
    Thanks you very much.