Thread: Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 Power Button Doesn't Work

Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 Power Button Doesn't Work

I am using this Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 from last 1 year and there was not problem with this laptop. But not i guess the power button of this laptop does not works properly. But i am able to start this laptop by using an Internet Button. And then even power button lights up. I am using Windows XP on this laptop.

Re: Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 Power Button Doesn't Work

By default, you pause a laptop when you press the power button. Another solution is to choose to turn off the laptop to hibernate, or do nothing when you press this button. You can apply the same setting to all your modes of power management or set a different setting for each.
    1. To open the Power Options, click the Start button , Click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, then click Power Options.
    2. On the Select a mode of power management, click Select Action power button.
    3. In the Define the action of the power buttons and turn on password protection, next to When I press the power button, choose what should your laptop when you press the button power, when on battery or AC power.
    4. Click Save Changes.

You can also do the following to manage the power of your system.
    • To open the Power Options, click the Start button , Click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, then click Power Options.
    • On the Select a mode of power management, click Change plan settings for the mode of power management to change.
    • On the Change plan settings, click Change advanced power settings.
    • In the Advanced Settings page, expand Power buttons and lid, expand Power button action and choose what should your laptop when you press the power button, when on battery or sector.
    • Click OK.

If you have a good soldering iron and a little soldering and desoldering pump, you just then desoldering the pasta and redo a clean weld. If you have a mulitimetre - in the diod test and check the little red and blue component in the picture, the current must pass through only one direction, invert the tips of your device to do so. It seems to be a fuse, tested - in the ohmmeter. Then after checking these components, plug in the plug and tell us the result.

I just tried the red and blue component PD501 And it is not the same as a diode in the reverse direction of current that passes for me. when the fuse is that if function for welding is like afraid of having no choice and tried to make a new but not I board the necessary equipment, I'm missing a pump I tried to imprint one, let you know my result!

I have exactly the same problem: Power button doesn't work. Have to use internet button instead. To change power button function in Power Options Properties window of Power Options doesn't help at all, as now power button's only function is to lit up when the laptop is turned on by pressing internet button. As to the soldering suggestions posted by the two other members, sounds like not quite related to our problem.

Quote Originally Posted by frwnd View Post
    I have exactly the same problem: Power button doesn't work. Have to use internet button instead. To change power button function in Power Options Properties window of Power Options doesn't help at all, as now power button's only function is to lit up when the laptop is turned on by pressing internet button. As to the soldering suggestions posted by the two other members, sounds like not quite related to our problem.
    Some member was having similar issue and he tested it removing the power switchboard from the laptop and feed the ribbon cable from outside the case in order to experiment and determine what constituted perfect alignment. So can you try replacing the two parts mentioned and also the ribbon cable itself and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for reading my post and the suggestion. But poking inside or around the laptop is really beyond me. I was thinking maybe this problem originates from the software side instead of hardware side.

Quote Originally Posted by frwnd View Post
    Thanks for reading my post and the suggestion. But poking inside or around the laptop is really beyond me. I was thinking maybe this problem originates from the software side instead of hardware side.
    No, it definately sounds like a hardware, wire, cable problem. So, the best you can do is take it to a laptop repair shop and at some affordable price you can have a check for same and get it repaired.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Thank you, Bon-Z. After many tried software "fix", I believe most likely, as you said, it's a hardware issue.