Thread: How to disable touchpad on Dell XPS 17

How to disable touchpad on Dell XPS 17

Hello friends, I am having the USB mouse attached to the Dell XPS 17 and then type on the internal keyboard. The touchpad touch that place where the cursor is somewhere else on the screen. It is very much frustrating and it is there anything any solved, so that I can disable the touchpad. I am not able to disable the touchpad; anyone has the solution to disable it. Please tell me, thank you.

Re: How to disable touchpad on Dell XPS 17

If you are using the windows 7 then I would suggest that you follow the following steps to disable the touchpad:
    • Click on Start button.
    • Click on Control Panel button.
    • Click on green Hardware and Sound link.
    • Under the Devices and Printers section press the Mouse link.
    • On the mouse properties screen select the Hardware tab.
    • Now highlight the touchpad mouse which is the PS/2 Compatible Mouse and press the Properties button.
    • Now click the Change Settings button at the bottom of the mouse properties screen.
    • When the new mouse properties screen appears select the Drivers tab and then press the Disable button.
    • Windows will now warm you about disabling this device and just click the Yes button.
    • When you return to the mouse properties screen press the OK button.
    • You will now be asked to restart your laptop for the settings to take effect.
    • Press the Yes button and let Windows 7 restart.
    • Upon login into Windows again your touchpad will be disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Samaria View Post
    If you are using the windows 7 then I would suggest that you follow the following steps to disable the touchpad:
    • Click on Start button.
    • Click on Control Panel button.
    • Click on green Hardware and Sound link.
    • Under the Devices and Printers section press the Mouse link.
    • On the mouse properties screen select the Hardware tab.
    • Now highlight the touchpad mouse which is the PS/2 Compatible Mouse and press the Properties button.
    • Now click the Change Settings button at the bottom of the mouse properties screen.
    • When the new mouse properties screen appears select the Drivers tab and then press the Disable button.
    • Windows will now warm you about disabling this device and just click the Yes button.
    • When you return to the mouse properties screen press the OK button.
    • You will now be asked to restart your laptop for the settings to take effect.
    • Press the Yes button and let Windows 7 restart.
    • Upon login into Windows again your touchpad will be disabled.
    Well the disable button which is there in drivers tab is been disabled and due to that I am not able to disable the touchpad. I have also seen that there is need to have a Synaptic touchpad, but there was no synaptic tab on the mouse properties screen. I wanted to know that can I disable the touchpad by pressing Fn-F3 keys, can you please tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pee-Paa View Post
    Well the disable button which is there in drivers tab is been disabled and due to that I am not able to disable the touchpad. I have also seen that there is need to have a Synaptic touchpad, but there was no synaptic tab on the mouse properties screen. I wanted to know that can I disable the touchpad by pressing Fn-F3 keys, can you please tell me.
    You can use the Fn-F3 as it work for me to disable the touchpad and it is working fine for me, so I would suggest that if you are not able to work from the method which is the above user have told about it.

I am having the inspiron 5040 and also having the same problem. I have download the latest drivers and disable button is been disabled, so due to which I am not able to use it, if also I try the Fn-F3 then also nothing work for me, where the F3 has a little touchpad icon on it. I am very much frustrating with it, so please help me. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonds| View Post
    I am having the inspiron 5040 and also having the same problem. I have download the latest drivers and disable button is been disabled, so due to which I am not able to use it, if also I try the Fn-F3 then also nothing work for me, where the F3 has a little touchpad icon on it. I am very much frustrating with it, so please help me. Thank you.
    I was also having the Touchpad problem and I have updated to Windows 7, try the same method which is been given above. But all these are been gone when I have installed the Vista drivers if the memory serves. If also I go to Mouse Properties in the control panel then I am able to see a tab for DELL Touchpad where I have configure to be less sensitive.